[SYD] - Outdoor tank - possible fish?

REDFISH

Hi,

I'm thinking of putting a tank 45L x 30W x 25H outside without a heater.

What kinds of fish could I keep in there that would survive the Sydney Weather.

So, far I've only come up with 1x baby koi or a few goldfish

Is there anything else I could consider?

If that is in centimeters, that tank is way too small for even one goldfish, let alone a koi.

Two options are medaka or white cloud mountain minnows. They are temperate fish and can usually deal with a wider range of temperatures. They are also pretty hardy and in the case of medaka, quite easy to get fry from.

Hi redfish

Maby you could try cherry shrimp as they will handle the cold. There are a few people in Sydney that keep there cherrry shrimp outside over winter. you could keep quite a few in a tank that size.

Cheers

Les

Hi redfish. It depends on the location you choose too. Cool/shaded vs Hot/sunny. Hot/sunny should be avoided for summer as no matter what you put in there you'll get dead fish on a hot summer day.

You should consider small natives (blue eyes??? I think???). Small for a small tank, will be well adapted to local temperature ranges and will help with mossie control if you get any in the tank.

Unfortunately, any goldfish you put in there are going to be severely stunted and most likely suffer from a shortened lifespan. Fancy goldfish generally need a minimum of 120L while common goldfish need something in the 400L range as they can potentially reach a foot long.

I just hate seeing goldfish crammed into small tanks. It's really no different than trying to put a betta in a 1/4 gallon bowl.

I would definitely recommend either natives like Paul suggested or something like golden medaka or white cloud minnows.

As previously mentioned Goldfish/Koi is not a good option. It is too small and they will suffer

I do suggest you do Pacific Blue Eyes ..this is what you can catch locally in Sydney.

Also since we are approaching spring they will be in breeding mood so if you wait till mid summer you will get the newborn fry as well.

But don't use goldfish it is too small a tank

Thanks guys

Great information =]

Yes, the tank isn't that big and is restricting the types of fish that could potentially be housed in it.

It's my guppy fry tank, and I was just seeing if I could use it for other small fish species.

now I wonder where I can catch pacific blue eyes in syd, hmmmm

Whilst researching I came across this pdf file with info on the freshwater fish available in Sydney Region.

Thought it might he helpful for others thinking of setting up a tank outside.

http://www.backyardbuddies.net.au/PDFs/fish_poster_sml.pdf

and this was useful: mentioned Gladesville bridge

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/26155-Blue-Eyes-In-Sydney/page2

Edited by REDFISH