Bristlenose Catfish

Hey all

Just wondering how many bristlenose would y ou put into an 80L tank? I asked the LFS and his response was "as many as you like". I did only have 7 neon tetras in there but added another 7 glowlight tetras today. There is also 1 betta swimming around in there while I work out if it is a female or a short-finned male!

Thanks

It depends on your filteration and how often are you willing to change your water. for example (don't do what I do) I put in around 50 bristlenoses (adults, sub-adults and babies) in a 3 ft tank with lots of other fish and I have heaps of plants, good cycled filter and my nitrate never goes above 10ppm with weekly water changes. But it's the combination of all three that makes it work for me, if I don't have plants my tank will crash in 2 days or if I don't have good filter it's the same result. You need to experiment and find a good combination that works for you

I wouldn't recommend more than 4 bns at first and constantly test your water to see what's your water like ahd how it changes with the addition of bns

Edited by Joan

I shall test the water and see how they're doing. There are currently 3 (I think) normal BN and 2 peppermints in there. There were 2 albino's as well but they are in with my goldfish cleaning that up for me.

The guy at the LFS is usually very knowledgable about fish and I would usually trust what he tells me but this time it just didn't sit right :)

Thanks for the advise.

no he's almost right about the "as many as you like" comment it depends on entirely on how many work you want to put i to maintain the tank.

Just letting you know that BN is tropical, goldfish is cold water... they're NOT suppose to be in the same tank!

They were only in the goldfish tank temporarily to clean it up. I have checked out the temp requirements for BN and they seem to be able to cope with temperatures down to as low as 21 and the goldfish tank wasn't much below that so I added a heater to 22 degrees and all seemed to be coping fine.

I checked the water last night and the levels are great. I will keep an eye on the levels for a while and make sure the tank it coping and so I know how long I have between changes.