Hi, I'm new.

Joker

Hi, My name is Joker. I'm 24 have been breeding African cichlids for near 6 years and have recently given it up due to the hobby getting out of hand. (too many tanks and fish haha). after selling all my cichlids off as I've always been interested in fish but don't want to stop the hobby full stop, I joined this forum. I have always liked bettas and am interested in breeding some beautiful fighters in the future. Hope you all can help with my first breeding pair and future endeavors.

Joker.

Hey Joker,

Welcome to the forum, we're a pretty laid back bunch of coconuts, so I do hope you'll enjoy - personal favourite is going through people's spawn logs and watching fry grow - it happens waaaay to slowly in reality, but spawn logs are like the fast forward version.

My hot tip would be to do a bit of research, look into what kinds of Betta you like - tail types etc, get some breeding goals (colour/etc) and then start with some nice fish!

Obviously it's a bit of a learning curve with their water parameters and keeping them happy - but it sounds like you have a bit of experience keeping fish happy!

Feel free to ask questions, and have a go at the search function on the forum too - most things you want to know have already been asked...

-Ness

Welcome to the forum Joker. Not sure this is the fish for you if you want to cut down on tanks. Lol. I have had many fish over the years and my father had a "little" cichlid (use search function for "Mixed Cichlid tank" ) tank but I have NEVER had as many tanks as I do now. Admittedly they are small tanks but there are quite a few. :-).

Be warned, these fish are addictive.

Thanks for the replies, it would seem I'm swapping addictions. Haha. I, in all honesty would rather have a few small tanks than a lot of big tanks. These bettas are beautiful and I could see myself breeding them for the perfect colors. See with cichlids... You just breed same types and such, sure you could breed a certain genetic strain but not get the results I've seen in Bettas. I want to get the all white half moon or butterfly, a blue and yellow mustard gass half moon, big reds and the list goes on . All the elegant "pretty" bettas.

Hey Joker,

The thing with breeding bettas. You can't keep a male and female together. So for one pair you need two tanks. Then if you spawn them, you will need a third tank to move the male to once the fry are free swimming. Then when the young males from the spawn start getting agro around 8 weeks of age, you need to start jarring each individual young male. So from a small spawn on of say 20 fry, you may end up with 10 males, that each need there own large jar to grow out in. And you might be looking at daily water changes on each jar.

Bettas need to be kept in heated tanks during winter. Which means you need to heat all the jars juveniles are in during winter. One way to do this is the keep the jars in a large tub that is filled with water and heat the tub.

Hope you are getting an idea of what it takes to keep ONE successfully spawning pair.

Don't want to scare you off, these are awesome fish. Just making sure you have some idea of what you are in for.

Yes these fish are much more work then cichlids (breeding and growing the fry that is), I have kept cichlids in the past and if left alone they will breed no problems (as long as water, feeding, etc is right) with minimal fuss required but with bettas it is a whole different story. You will soon find out once you get a spawn. Goodluck and welcome to the forum!

Edited by Chi

Thanks for the replies. Your scaring me now.. I'm thinking of heading to fishchicks store tomorrow in Brisbane so im wondering, is there a thread u can link me to that has basic care like temp, Ph, Current/no current, air stone/ filtration.

Thanks.