grey film on roots

rainbowfish

I have a grey/whitish film on the roots of some plants in my female tank and it also forms on the rubber suction caps of the heater. It dosn't seem to bother the fish but what is it? Is it a fungus? Should I do anything about it and if so what? Everything is growing so well in this tank and my fish is really healthy so I dont really want to disturb the tank with additives if I don't need to. If it makes any difference the roots it seems to grow on are the thick roots of the philodrendrons I have them with roots in the water and the leaves growing out of the tank in the air. The roots are growing over a centimeter a day so it dosnt seem to be rotting the roots or harming the plants. I have a 4 foot T5 2x 28w fluro one white one blue tube on that tank. Temp is around 26-27c PH is about 6.5 amonia zero.

Hi rainbowfish. There's a type of slimy opaque film that commonly grows on the black rubber suction caps of new aqua one heaters. Many of us have seen it, but I remember reading one person investigating it with a microscope. They discovered it to be a mass of Protozoa. No one has suggested these Protozoa are harmful to the fish, and they seem to only last a few weeks while a new miniature ecosystem gets established. I guess what you're seeing is the same. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes it's an aquaone thermosafe suction cups are what came with it. First I only saw it there and the bit up top where the cord comes in it seems to be rubber too and then the plant roots but nothing else seems to be slimy. I wonder what it is about the aquaone rubber? I wondered if it was something to do with the tank bacteria getting established tanks been going for 3-4 weeks, 45L.

this is where it was discussed:

http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=10557&hl= suction slime&st=0

Second last post was the one where the slime was examined. Seeing as it is so common, I will guess that in general it is harmless.

Thanks for that, seems harmless then just never seen it before and thought... what is that stuff...I did wonder if catfish would eat it I have considered getting a few for that tank since only 1 female betta lives in it would they get along ok in 45L? My fish are spoiled I'm a sad case lol.