Tank Substrate

I have most of my Betta in individual tanks. I started out by putting the "Betta Gems" that you can buy from most local pet stores but was told that food and other "grossies" can hide in and amongst the rocks and you end up with fungus and what not. I've moved to this awesome black sand which looks killer in the tank and the basic plants (Anubias and Java Fern) that I have in each tank don't seem to mind it. The only trouble I have with the sand is with the cleaning and vacuuming of the bottom. The sand is so light that the vacuum picks it up if I get to near but if I don't, a small portion of the refuse stays in the sand.

I've been trying to think of another solution that keeps everyone happy. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was looking online and I saw Aragonite that I really liked the look of, however I have since learned that it GREATLY increases the PH in the tank. I'm basically looking for an attractive substrate that can be cleaned with a vacuum, doesn't have to be rinsed every time I do a water change and keeps the plants and fish happy!

I use and LOVE the Showmaster black glass gravel! The good points: Easy to clean, Doesn't alter PH, Small smooth pebbles (fin friendly), Looks awesome!

The bad points: It's very expensive :( I use it in my display tanks so it shows up the fish and plants beautifully.

As we all know when you use a substrate it will 'collect' all the nasties so it does need a thorough cleaning to remove them. I only use a thin layer about a 1/2 inch to aid the cleaning process and I have found this gravel to be the easiest to clean, I have other substrates including sand (extremely high maintenance)in my tanks but I'm fanatical about WC's and tank cleaning.... :P

Good luck with your choice I hope this was helpful :)

That black is very handsome, but I don't like the idea of how it would behave when you refilled those tanks either!

Personally I subscribe to the

bear-bottom.jpg?w=500

Bear bottom approach.

581266_351194024943609_165185040211176_9

Plenty you can do with a Japanese garden inspired pile of river rocks and some plants (;

And much easier to vacuum around

x

I use a course grained sand or zeolite, because I like to grow plants in my tanks as well as keep fish. Nothing over 3mm usually.

IMG_3278-1-1.jpg

Zeolite is also great for new tanks and a filter medium, fresh it takes up ammonia and once it is full it houses nitrifying bacteria.

I use and LOVE the Showmaster black glass gravel! The good points: Easy to clean, Doesn't alter PH, Small smooth pebbles (fin friendly), Looks awesome!

The bad points: It's very expensive :( I use it in my display tanks so it shows up the fish and plants beautifully.

As we all know when you use a substrate it will 'collect' all the nasties so it does need a thorough cleaning to remove them. I only use a thin layer about a 1/2 inch to aid the cleaning process and I have found this gravel to be the easiest to clean, I have other substrates including sand (extremely high maintenance)in my tanks but I'm fanatical about WC's and tank cleaning.... :P

Good luck with your choice I hope this was helpful :)

Do you have a link to that particular gravel? Where do you get it??

That black is very handsome, but I don't like the idea of how it would behave when you refilled those tanks either!

Personally I subscribe to the

bear-bottom.jpg?w=500

Bear bottom approach.

581266_351194024943609_165185040211176_9

Plenty you can do with a Japanese garden inspired pile of river rocks and some plants (;

And much easier to vacuum around

x

I've seen that picture before and I absolutely LOVE it! What sort of plant is being used in that tank? I might have to head down to Adrian and see if he can't hook me up with something similar or a variation of this that would be effective for multiple tanks! There was some suggestion that if you left a completely bare-bottom the fighters could get "Drop-Eye" due to watching their reflection? I don't know if this is actually something but regardless of if it is, your approach seems to work well for it.

I don't use substrate. I paint the outside bottom and back of my tanks and go bare bottom. You can buy driftwood with Anubis, Java Fern or Java Moss attached to it, or you can make your own, which is cheaper. I like to use Mopani rootwood, and use cotton to tie the plants to the wood.

My latest idea which I will be making today, is to tie Java Moss to manzanita branches and use some spare suction cups to hold the branches mid water. Hopefully the Java Moss will grow thick over branches and provide somewhere for fry to graze on micro fauna.

When it comes tank vacuums, I just take everything out and place in in a small tub, and vacuum the bottom. The only thing is you have to do is hold the hose down near the mouth of the siphon and flick a finger out inquisitive bettas. Last thing you want to do is suck up a prized fish.

002-3.jpg

001-2.jpg

Edited by briztoon