Pictures of my 'not bettas'

Wild Nut

As well as bettas and killifish, I am very big on Australian and New Guinea natives. At the moment my set-up is limited to smaller rainbows and pseudomugil species, but hopefully in the future I can house a wider range.

This tank is 60x36x30 and houses around 9-10 Skull Creek rainbows, and the same amount of Delicate blue-eyes. I am intending on attaching a black background to make it look a bit neater, and adding some more leaf litter. Unfortunately, my rainbows are cowards and just hide at the back whenever I come near the tank so I sneakily watch them from my bed haha.

Fish were all from Dave at Aquagreen and the hardscape was (painfully) dug up by me.

Del.jpg

del2.jpg

Del3.jpg

Del4.jpg

DelTank.jpg

Thanks. I like to house most of my fish in natural looking tanks. The blue-eyes and rainbows in this tank (including my accidental pygmy perch) spend a lot of their time pecking at the wood and sifting through the leaf litter. My vals have started throwing off runners so hopefully they should thicken up some as time goes by.

Finally got my hands on some rare 'ish' Pseudomugil connieae. Once I have a proper set-up sorted out for them, I will snap some photos.

Haha it's actually a book behind the tank. It does have a dead fish on the cover and includes the murder of a koi so it is deserving of a starring role :lol:

Blue-eyes are so awesome to watch sparring and displaying. I have some honey blue-eyes and the males spend 90% of their time on display for their three lucky (or possibly unlucky) ladies. Definitely recommend them if you have a nano tank to fill.

Here's two shots of my Pseudomugil connieae. They are very active fish so it was hard to get a decent shot. They are very friendly and boisterous. They have already learned to come up and take food from my tweezers.

Blue-1.jpg

Blue1.jpg

This is the only decent shots I could get of my Pseudomugil mellis previously

Blueeyes2.jpg

Blueeyes.jpg

I put some dried riparian leaves from Dave in their tank and you'd think it was Christmas. They spent the next couple hours exploring, pecking and squabbling.

Yeah I'm about to schedule a trip back up there as they have this old rocky area we call the 'gravel pit' and I'm going to dig some big rocks up to use in my connieae tank. Plus see if I can't dig up some more of their paddock...I mean tea tree heh heh.

The substrate is sand I got from Exotic Aquatic in the bigger tank and in the other tanks it is fine gravel I picked up from Petbarn. In my honey blue-eye tank the sand mixed with some laterite soil I purchased from Dave so it has got some bigger chunks through it. Haven't had any issues with my pH aside from needing to bump it up with crushed coral to keep my darn tanks cycled.

• 3 weeks later...