Moss Question

Hi guys quick question about moss, can I grow your everyday variety "garden" moss in a aquarium? The reason I ask is because I recently found a huge patch of this moss at my parents place & I was thinking of attaching it to 1 of the pieces of driftwood in my 6ft tank. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

You can try, but from what I've seen and read of others trying it, most will simply die away.

Terrestrial plants need much more access to oxygen & c02, your best chance of success is with the moss 'emergent' or extremely high levels of injected c02 and super high light if they must be submerged.

Edited by Pyrefly

I put some moss from my garden in my tanks to test - it went really well, grew fairly quickly and was healthy.

Grew about this long - stuff026.jpg

Actually that was a bit I dumped in a plastic container and left outside/did nothing else. So worth a shot, I think.

Edited by Sarah

The only problem I would see with using moss from the garden is pests and bacteria. If you do want to give it a go try it first in a container that way you will not risk introducing nastys in to your tank or poluting the water.

Cheers

Les

Well I put a small plate full of the moss into a bucket full of water to see if it would survive & so far so good its actually looking pretty healthy, but I'll keep checking it every few days to see how it looks.

Cheers.

this is an interesting experiment keep us posted!

All I think of is the dangers of chemicals in your tank. So just make sure you or other people in the house hasn't spray or sprinkled etc any fertilisers or weed or insect killers near by

I'll keep this post updated with info as I can, as for the chemicals that might have been used around the moss that's not likely seeing ass my parents do all their gardening the old fashioned way, by hand & not relying on chemicals.

Cheers.

5 days & counting with the moss fully submerged in the bucket of water & its still looking quite healthy & starting to I guess you could say plume out to something like Sarahs pic look likes just not as long. Its a very dark green colour now though instead of being the light bright green, I'm guessing because its holding alot of water & not getting much light. Here's some pics.

This is the "control" moss

2012-03-30172724.jpg

This is some more that I've had sitting in the fridge with water on the plate

2012-03-30172757.jpg

This is the submerged moss

2012-03-30172849.jpg

This is the best shot I could get of the "pluming"

2012-03-30172916.jpg

Cheers.