I hate the marble gene.

Fletch

Bussy - I know - some of my beautiful butterfly fry have all dropped their bundles and turned "GRAVEL" my most hated colour in the whole world, cello with ugly brown patches.

I feel for you - it's a damn shame, but interesting that those solid blacks aren't stable... innnnnteresting.

What I find more fascinating is that you say they loose condition too - I wonder what the correlation is? Thoughts?

Yeah, I would suggest it's not an environmental trigger, but I wonder if it's age, and they're just loosing condition and their pigmentation (albiet suddenly)

That other black boy that turned cello (I remember we all thought it might have been an illness) was he from the same spawn?

They're getting on a bit those boys aren't they? What's the vintage on these guys?

Just a theory, the orchid effect is more or less a butterfly pattern and therefore marble related. I have been reading up about the "jumping gene" that affects chromosomes by attaching itself to other genes and switching them on or off. Nowhere in the literature I have read states that this "jumping gene" only attaches itself to colour genes exclusively. Is it possible that this gene could also attach itself to other genes in the body and switch off, for example, the bodies ability to process oxygen, or turn on a genetic disease that was sitting there unactive?

I have had the odd marbled fish go downhill and die for no reason while "transitioning". I had never thought too much about a connection before now. I just assumed that I had done something wrong...

Under twelve months old Ness. Boys are from different spawns and different parents (but all siblings). Very disappointed with the whole thing actually. Every time I got excited about a fish, disaster has struck. :-(

Not sure Jarrod. Just sick of it.

I'd forget about trying to breed any more of this line then, you'll just be passing on all these traits that you hate and will have nothing but more disappointment. If you want another black orchid spawn, perhaps you should look at getting another pair of them from another breeder (or at least a new male to inject new blood.) Just thinking about it, this could also be a genetic weakness from being too inbred. If you like the colour, but want to move away from crowntails, then look at black orchid HM's and HMPKs. You might want to forget about splendens all together and concentrate on your wilds, then do that.

I guess what I am trying to say is, stop focussing on your failures and look at moving forward to a spawning success. Believe me, given my track record these past 8 - 9 months, I know it is hard, but possible. If you remember, it wasn't all that long ago I was going to get rid of the lot I was so disappointed.

WHITES!!!

I thought the orchid effect was a result or normal iridesence, not marble - and copers/metallics were spread iridescence - independent of the marble gene (am i wrong?)

Below they say "almost always" come from marble - so, as an observation - not a rule... ? *I have confuse*

But orchid isn't butterfly.

is different isn't it?

Black Orchid, Black Devil, Black Ice

Henry Yin first coined the name Black Orchid to describe his particular development of dark bicolor Crowntail, which was (so I've been told) NOT a marble-based black but a melano type with excessive steel iridescence, particularly in the fins. The name has since been applied to any fish of similar coloration in a multitude of forms, from HM to Plakat, but these almost always come from marble. Essentially, the Black Orchid betta is a dark black color with streaks of steel blue in the fins, often forming almost a butterfly pattern. The iridescence is not always limited to the fins, and many Black Orchids also develop red wash (another indicator of the marble gene messing with this line). Increasing the red wash has given a new type of 'black' - the so-called 'Black Devil', which is a marble type black with red in the fins instead of iridescence.

-http://bettysplenden...?articleid=1040

Edited by melbournebetta

I stand corrected :P

Regardless, it doesn't change my hypothesis.

Busman's Black Orchids obviously come from marble stock. Could the same "jumping gene" that turns on and off colour be responsible for attaching to genes that regulate the fishes health and be turning other "switches" on and off?

Discuss...

:D