Update of my planted 4 foot tank.

Hey guys it’s been ages since you have all seen this tank. Well its nothing impressive, well the exact opposite, I've had a recent algae outbreak, my thoughts are too much light and not enough flow. Also not enough Ca and Mg, more on that later. I have 4 types of algae, cyano, green tuft, thread and BBA, all point to lack of CO2. The plant growth is healthy on all my plants except mayaca and my new aponageton. Their new growth is stunted, This is a sign of Ca or Mg deviancy, that would make sense since I use rain water which lacks these elements and they aren’t provided well in fish food either. To correct that I dried some MTS and tipped them into the tank last night, that was a dumb idea, I just realized they float That’s were the ones with your angels came from Paul, I assumed they would sink. I should have added them to the filter as that would have exposed them to more water. Silly idea in hindsight.

So to help deal with the algae I have halved my lighting and cleaned out my canister, the output is still not increasing though so after holidays I will add some powerheads. I will also start dosing NPK to hopefully help the plants compete with the alga. I will keep you updated on how I go, I thought this may interest you all.

This photo shows the grean tuft and the cyano, the cyano is present at the top of the waterline on my back ground as well, I wont be using one of those again, they are algae magnets. Sorry about the bad pictures, I get reflections during the day.

IMG_6343.jpg

More pictures soon.

More cyano, I guess I should pay more attention to this tank, the infestation is very severe.

IMG_6348.jpg

Stunted growth of the mayaca

IMG_6349.jpg

One of my E. vesuvius reverted to its straight form, very interesting. Really bad water stains sorry. You can alos see that the blyxa and ammania is going great.

IMG_6351.jpg

The limnophila is also healthy

Most plants are going insane, its just the algae that is the issue.

IMG_6357.jpg

One of the girls I got off Jarrod

IMG_6353.jpg

Someoen comment so I can post my new rams!

Edited by Matt_95

I'm sorry Paul but you honestly wouldn't have been able to get in the door, after you called mum and I threw all of the stuff on the floor into there, you wouldn't have even been able to see the tanks. You'll have to come over again and have a looksie. If you set up a shrimp tank I'll have some cherries and hopefully some of these native shrimp I have will breed.

Lol, thats after a trim, I'll get a photo tonight, all my photos off it just end up as the pool the reflections are so bad O.o

Heres the lotus, this is the Mum of yours Paul, she has plans for global domination *lol* Sorry about the water cghanges, another job on the list. You can further see the extent of the cyano in this picture as well, I must be blind to not notice that lol

IMG_6364.jpg

I should have a few babies of this one to bring along to the Next Betta Australis meet if anyone wants one.

I already had one here for you.... Maybe I just decided you needed one... Or maybe I'm just crazy :P

That is actually more than one lotus, I have a smaller one at the base because the bottom was looking a bit bare, there are a few babies mixed through it too. I really need to take it out, tanks should only have one focal point, mine is the apon, its only a propagagtion tank for now though, it isn't scaped.

I had a CO2 deviancy, not a Ca one. Now that I have halved the amount of light the Mayaca is getting new shoots that appear healthy. Most algae appears to have died except the cyano, I think I need some stronger stuff.

Sorry if I am boring you guys, this is mostly for my records, this is the first time I have dealt with these algaes, it's a good learning expeiriance.