Can you save a cracked tank?

mumofthehoarde

A couple of days ago I notices something weird behind one of our 3' tanks. It looked like some sort of weird dirty cobweb.

Today I put my glasses on and discovered the weird dirty cobweb was actually mineral deposit from a leaking tank. There is a dirty big crack across 2/3rds of my tank.

After spending ages chasing 20,000 cherry shrimp (ok slight over-exaggeration)...I have emptied the tank and rehoused the fish which wasnt easy seeing as most of my tanks are in storage ready for the move and these guys are my husband's big BNs & ALFs.

But my question is....do I throw the tank to the tip or can it be fixed up? (disclaimer: If fixing it means cutting out the broken panel and putting in a new panel then off to the tip it goes...I suck at silicon)

I'd gladly fix it if you were closer - I have a lot of 'fixed' tanks and they are just as good as new - probably stronger with the extra bit of glass in them..... I cut up tanks that are too bad to fix and use the glass to fix others as I need them..... but then I'm cheap.... not easy .... just cheap :P

Im with Wayne, wel not actualy with him but do the same thing, if the crack is in a fairly straight line you could silicone a strip of glass over the top of the crack if you didnt want to take the panal out and replace it. I dont like it but have mates that do it but I wouldnt chuck it

Cheers

Les

I wish I was nearby and you could have had it.

Aaahhhhh.. in a few weeks I will be back in civilisation....where I can put stuff out on the footpath and it disappears...yes city living...woohoo! Maybe I can find a glass place that isnt sooo expensive you not even dare to walk past their door... :drool:

and a tip...a tip that actually recycles...yes..I am looking forward to that too.