Transporting Bettas via courier and mail?

mumofthehoarde

I have a heap of juvies almost ready for sale. But I am outside the express post area..courier service isnt the best here either. I stress like crazy when I have fish coming in as it takes extra days to get here.

How long can a fish be safely transported?

What would be the best packaging for them?

I dont have any of those heater pad thingys, do I need them, if so where do I get them?

Should I add anything to the water ie Stressguard/IAL?

These little fishies need new homes but it is very stressful for me.

From what we were told at the last Betta Australis meeting, 2-3 WEEKS in those tiny, tiny bags is not unheard off. Not ideal but the fish can survive.

Please be aware that it is illegal to send any animals by mail/express post. Sure Bettarazi had pinned something about this awhile ago. :-)

I think when the mods were discussing this recently we were not entirely certain what was or wasn't legal. It's up to the shipper to investigate what the rules are with the the service you're intending to use. With Australia Post it's probably a good idea to ask for official documentation rather than relying on the person at the counter.

I have had fish take 4 days to get to their destination and survive. I've also had fish die after 2 days. I don't think anyone can guarantee survival. But 2-3 days should be pretty safe. In terms of packaging get your LFS to sell you some bags. I like to double bag my fish and I also wrap each bag in newspaper. Put them in a styrofoam box which you can get from your green grocers. The ones that broccollini comes in is a good size. You can buy heating pads on eBay although it's hard to find ones that will last the whole trip. Maybe check the weather reports before shipping?