So.... here's a strange question.

What does betta poop look like?

I set up a little hatchery and placed a zucchini in it for my catfish but I suspect that the bettas have been eating the zucchini. Every morning I see two kinds of poop in there, thin black tiny stick-like things, and the usual orangey poop.

The thin black sticks are the betta ones aren't they.

That complicates things then. Cos I've been feeding the bettas fish flakes (although I've got some frozen blood worms in the freezer waiting to go), but the zucchini and algae sinking pellets are for the catfish. I've seen the bettas grab mouthfuls of zucchini, they also pick up the pellets but spit them out.

Here's my quandary - the bettas are curious everytime I do something in the tank and when I place the hatchery containing the zucchini and pellets in the tank, they pretty much all get into the hatchery to play with the pellets (but not eating them) and some of them take some chunks out of the zucchini.

6331966540_41a8cce594_z.jpg

6331210819_a9259213c4_z.jpg

6331209629_8fb0d8fcdc_z.jpg

But most of the poop by morning are the black thing stick ones. The inside of the zucchini looks like it's been eaten out but most if not all of the pellets are still there so .... I can't quite work out whether it's the bettas eating the zucchini, or whether the bristlenose catfish are eating the zucchini but completely leaving the pellets alone.

The LFS sold me these pellets saying that they were feeding the bristlenose the same thing and if that's the case, I can't figure out why the bristlenose are leaving them alone. I'm concerned if the bristlenose are eating or not.

I always find brown-orange balls of poo in my betta tanks depending on what I feed them. My otos have very thin, almost sticks of poo that I find all over everything.

Perhaps your bristlenose are finding enough food elsewhere in the tank that they're not bothering with the pellets and only eating the zucchini.

Wouldn't put it past that lot to have a go at anything, no matter how unpalatable :lol:

The thing that worries me is that it's a new tank so there's absolutely nothing in terms of algae for the bristlenose fish. I'm not sure if they are slowly starving themselves in this new environment with the bettas. But then if that was the case, where is all the poo coming from. I can't see that they're eating the pellets and the bettas are pretty much all over the hatchery every time I look.

Does anyone have these bristlenoses too:

6331208343_c6a151280c_z.jpg