Indian Almond Leaves and Carbon

BettaDude

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if I really need to remove the carbon out of my small tank filter (it's like elite sponge filter but there is a small bag of carbon inside) in my 5 gallon betta tank when I put in Indian Almond Leaves?

This seems like a redundant question, however, i noticed the water still gets so brown. This makes me wonder if tannis is still present in the water?

Thoughts?

Good question!

The answer however, may be more difficult to obtain. I'm sure that the compounds released by IAL have not been completely studied/listed,and so, which of these compounds actually help the fish, plus which of them are deactivated by carbon should be a mystery to all of us at this time.

I guess, if you want the full effect of the IAL, then no carbon is the way to go. *guessing here*

carbon will take out tannins in water... but be careful as overloaded carbon will start dumping any toxins its cleaned from the water back into the water column when it's saturated.... which is why it needs replacing regularly.....

personally - I would suggest controlling the amount of IAL in the water by how many Indian Almond leaves you put in the tank....