Low maintenance Plants

I just brought a 30 or 40 litre aquaone tank the other day and am in process of cycling it to add cherry shrimp. At this stage it only has some java moss attached to an ornament i am hoping it will attach to but i want to add some more low maintenance plantage to the tank but am unsure what to add. I have seen xmas moss which i think doesnt look to bad but would like some other suggestions. I was told the white light on the tank would be okay but i should change it. I dont want to add plants which need lots of work and the light on for too much of the day given its just gonna be for cherry shrimp.

Current Status of Shrimp tank

Java ferns, some crypts and amazon frogbits are all easy to grow plants. I don't think they need high light requirements too. I don't usually give them high lighting and they thrive. Could also try out Fissidens. My LFS told me that it's pretty easy to grow without strong light.

Cool thanks, that will give me something to look up for the time being :)

Will those sort of plants grow in the gravel stuff i got in the bottom, cause it dont look so great however got what LFS recommended. I really like the look of the fissidens :D

Edited by Shaun85

Mosses don't need substrate, just tie them down, how deep is the gravel? The crypts will need root tabs pushed under them in just gravel, vals are good low light plants too, they need root tabs too. Dino Dung from Aquagreen is good.

I havent used root t abs before, would the nutrients in them affect the shrimp in any way and what brands seem to be the best for price. In the few minutesi spent researching most concsensus says that the sea chem ones arent that great, however as i said i know little about them,

There are several substrate ferts available commercially made products and non aquarium products that work, agree that dino dung is great and will be fine with cherries as per Matt_95

I think you need to determine what you actually want to achieve from this tank but great that you are asking questions and getting advice

subtrates is something to consider depending on your objective.

Also add the term you use white light? generally you would look for a tube with a k rating of 5000k to 10000k for plant growth

Ray

U don't need root tabs for crypts if you have low light. I have a large crypt plant in my shrimp tank and it's just growing in a disposable cup with gravel in an aquaone tank (light included) due to there's only low light no extra fertiliser is needed.

I have lots of java moss, java fern with the crypts. I have yet to found out the nitrate levels but my shrimps are doing well.

Hi Joan, I was just wondering, is there any mulm in the gravel the crypt is in? They are heavy root feeders so they prefer to take up nutrients via their roots instead of the water. What is the growth rate like? I'm intriqued as your expieriance (spelling?) is the opposite of mine. Mine melted and grew very slowly in low light when they were in plain gravel, but once they had got through the gravel in the pots to the soil under the pots they took off. Also, what is your lighting like? What you call low light may be different to me.

I just thought I would include the method I use with great success. I can send you some plants if you want, I have a tonne of Val I can give you if you pay shipping. I also have a few chain swords, they are big root feeders too. The ones I have spare need a bit of TLC as they have been floating in a bucket but with a good substrate they will take off. This is the method I use: http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11877 it would suit your tank well. It would speed up the cycle and you can ditch the filter you have, it will suck up shrimplets and pre-filters are a pain to keep clean. The trickle filter will de-gas co2 which the plants need to grow, in a small tank circulation isn't critical, the plants will filter the water.

joan if works for you dont change it.

My experience with crypts from memory in low light and pre ferts was they stayed alive but basically never done much one or two leafs would grow one would die, with the use of ferts and lighting they would thrive and spread.

also need to consider the type of crypt being grown would also have some impact on the outcome of things even if only small.

Lol, I'm not saying crypt with root tabs won't grow better with root tabs. I agree with the fact that crypts area heavy root feeders and grow much better with them. But the fact is with low lighting + no CO2 the crypts simply won't grow fast enough to have a significant difference with or without root tabs.

For a shrimp tank adding of the fertilisers may have chemicals leaking into the water and kill your shrimps. So on the safer side I recommend adding no more than lateriate to help your crypts grow

Dino Dung definatly won't kill shrimp, it is even used in tanks with crystal shrimp, much more delicate than cherries. If you use soil though root tabs or laterite won't be needed at all and the substrate won't need re-newing for at least a decade.

Hey Shaun. I'm not great with plants, but do know that java fern us easy to keep, so is java moss. Anubias are pricey but seem easy enough. I like the windelov fern (just like java with frillier leaves). None of these plants need anything special, but some sort of liquid fertiliser every now and then will help keep them healthy and green. None of them need to be in the substrate - they actually shouldn't be buried. You simply tie them to the rocks/driftwood.

Hope this link works, but I reckon you could easily achieve something like the left half of this tank in your tank using just some dead gum tree branches, rocks, java fern(or windelov) and java moss. Done!

http://www.google.com.au/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=au&client=safari&q=aquascape&sa=N#i=62

'Matt_95

When you say soil is it a specific aquarium soil or just general soil? (wish i knew this stuff before i put the gravel in) lol

paul

http://www.google.com.au/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=au&client=safari&q=aquascape&sa=N#i=62

I actually like the look of alot of them pictures that show in the link and its something i would love to do. At my local pet and produce place they have bits of drift wood and stuff i have been looking at getting and attaching plants too, however i am not sure what sort of cleaning or whatever it would require before they went into the tank

Edited by Shaun85

Just soil with no wetting agents or added fertiliser, just topsoil is fine :) My tank is the one that came third in the link Ness threw up I used this method for that. If you do do it you won't be wasting any time, you will speed up the cycle to a few days, a bio filter can be detrimental to these tanks. Just let me know and I will send down some plants, you will need more than I send though, I recomend Aquagreen for good prices, great quality and great service.

Just soil with no wetting agents or added fertiliser, just topsoil is fine :) My tank is the one that came third in the link Ness threw up I used this method for that. If you do do it you won't be wasting any time, you will speed up the cycle to a few days, a bio filter can be detrimental to these tanks. Just let me know and I will send down some plants, you will need more than I send though, I recomend Aquagreen for good prices, great quality and great service.

Is there anything else i should look out for when choosing soil? i might goto bunnings tomorrow cause i gotta get a few other things anyway. How does the soil speed up the cycling ? I would so love to boost my tank so i am not waiting over a week lol

Edited by Shaun85

It shouldn't be made up of little pieces of bark, no fertiliser or wetting agents. I use top soil from the garden. It's full off bacteria but the main thing is the plants, they are the filter, thy take up amonia as they prefer it to nitrates making a filter pretty much use less, initially fast growing stem plants are the main component but sword plants, Val and crypts soon take over.

I can send you a fair few plants through over night express post if you just pay for the envelope. I don't have any fast growing stems so you will need to find them elsewhere, ambulia or water sprite is good :) I have a heap of vals that I'll be throwing out anyway.

I can send you a fair few plants through over night express post if you just pay for the envelope. I don't have any fast growing stems so you will need to find them elsewhere, ambulia or water sprite is good :) I have a heap of vals that I'll be throwing out anyway.

That could help lol, what plant is it ?

Thin val and twisted val, also a few broad leaf chainswod looking worse for wear but will come through. Some HM too.

I just read your natural planted tank thread and it has intrigued me. I am just wondering whether t hose ingredients cost you a great deal? I would have to redo my tank all over again lol.

Ingrediants? Soil was free from the yard, half a bag of propagating sand, bag cost $5, zeolite is $15 or something for 10kg and it is not needed, very cheap.

You already have gravel, all you need is soil so it shouldn't cost you much.