Is This Normal

les

as you all know Guppies are somthing new to me so as these guys are my first gupy spawn what is thisP8170370.jpgI have about six like this and the rest about therty dont have it at all. So please excuse my ignerance oh by the way they are from two different females that where enseminated by two different males and thats all I know My mate said I should get some nice suprizes and thats all he said

Cheers

Les

If you want to keep the trait males have trouble mating, there mating fin thingo is to long and they can't aim the sperm properly. You need to breed heterozygous male to brred with a ribbon fin female to keep the trait, half will be ribbon fin and half normal. You can Cull the normal females.

I must say my first impression is some sort of parasite.....fish lice or anchor worm???

Don't think guppies have that sort of fin extensions at a young age....they grow as they do!!

Edited by Rod

yes found out today that its anchor worm My Mate said he had had it in his fish room before so now how do I get rid of it? this is the first time I have ever in my life had it so I dont have a clue

Cheers

Les

definitely anchor worm. i've had that once... found it a little freaky...

here's a pretty helpful article on it.

http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/anchor_worms/

my guppy got anchor worm when I was still getting into the hobby so, when I tried to take the anchor out,

it died the next day. you may have better luck though :bighug:

Thanks MTS I will put the whole tank in the freezer and cull the lot as the I dont think the fry will survive me pulling them out plus my fingers are way to big for things that small Ill pull the tank appart steralize the glass and re sillacone the glass that way itll be safe from spreading the :censor: blighters ill also worm the parents thank god I dont have comunity tanks that would do my head in. I feel like the kids have come home with nits its got me scratching all over YUK

Cheers

Les