Minimum Water Depth For Betta

Hey guys and girls- in the process of constructing barracks for my bettas and was wondering what people think as to what would be the minimum water depth a betta would be happy in.

I know bettas in the wild live in shallow, still or slow moving water- hence the labyrinth organ, but what water depth is healthy for them?

Thanks for your time!

Rhys.

I have a plakat male who lives in a tank that's only 18cm tall. However, taking into account the substrate, it's really only about 12cm at it's deepest point. The tank itself is two foot long and half a foot wide though so he does have space to move around.

The only problems I have with my shallow tank, is the level of evaporation that occurs and the fact that my male can jump out quite easily when he sees me coming with dinner.

Personally I like shallow tanks as I don't have to reach in so far to put plants in/siphon out waste etc.

Thanks for all the replies, ladies and gents, really appreciated! I'm custom building some tanks and modular racks for them- two words: neodymium magnets.

I will post a thread up in the DIY section soon- having lots of fun with it!

I fear I've made them a tad shallow- 11cm- but they have 30cm of length to run around in, plus I'll mostly be housing Plakats.

Might order the next glass a couple of cm higher- well that's the fun of a modular system!