my new addittion *waves hello*

monroe1

Cheers :blush:

He's a cutie, won't flair perhaps because he is still adjusting??

I must say I was a little worried about getting him & it's still something I will worry about in future,

His fellow dumbo sibling's *I guess??* seemed to show partial eye blindness (almost all of them the blue form)

So I stood there contemplating for a very long time, but I took a gamble & I just prey he doesn't end up suffering the same fate!!

He's from Coburg btw..

Blind eh?

Interesting.... the dumbos I saw in Thailand were blind also - looked like they had eyelids over existing eyeballs - but we know they don't have lids!

Some of the breeders there said you had to be very careful with new mutations as they often come with undesirable elements, and often take many many generations before they breed true (i.e. every fry demonstrating the desired mutaiton and none with the undesirable one)

It's such early stages of understanding (for me) I'm just curious about it all - if you could find a lilttle lady for him, would you breed?

-Ness

In all honesty I will be very reluctant to breed him due to this eye issue..

Sometimes I think that we tamper too much with genetics & the hybrid animals end up weak or deformed

& to breed them & add more to the population may not be the best of idea's..

I will be watching him very closely over the next few months to see how his "condition" will play out.

In saying that I do love the look of them & if he were to remain healthy I may look at pairing him.

(I guess only time will tell)

Itbites - responsible!

But there's two ways the blindness might occur - as a percentage of each spawn, or as a development that happens in age..... I'm curious to hear if Jarrod or any other breeders with the Dumbo gene end up with any blind fry - a good thing to keep tabs on.

(I was going to say "keep an eye on" but that would have been crass)

-Ness

Haw Haw Haw...

Pity about the biting - maybe cross him with a PK so he has less to hold onto? :P

Itbites - I'm glad you mentioned the rest of the fish - I wonder how the LFS feel about the supplier providing blind fish? (perhaps too sticky a subject to ask more than rhetorically)

Anyways - he's a handsome man, looking forward to seeing some pics up against a mirror! Looks like he has good size on 'im.

x Ness