New 4' - 2' planted?

I'm picking up a 4' tank (eventually, the seller and I keep missing each other :love: ) and i'm hoping to transfer my 2' planted into the 4' tank. Thing is, I only have a single tube 2' light to keep those plants going. Sooo, short of finding a really cheap hood and fitting 4 x 2' shoplights inside it, I'm thinking that i'll just plant half of the tank, and go with cichlid-esque rockwork on the other side, or perhaps duck up to New England and ransack a dry dam, get some gnarled root wood. Do you think this would work? Rocks or wood? (or terracotta pots too i guess?) What sort of rocks are 'native' to Java and Thailand waterways?

i guess you could just plant the central part of the tank, and then decorate with other things on the other ends. If you are affter all those little pots, at work we have those pot men, for $15 you get something like 30 - 40 small pots of different sizes. Can you buy the fluro holders for putting in hoods without having to spend $80 for a aquarium ones?

• 4 months later...

UPDATE: I bit the bullet and purchased a 4' twin reflector fow this tank. Its still only about 0.8wpg, but its only a 12-14" high tank, so hopefully the intensity wont be lost :) I'm planning on using washed river sand for the substrate (much like Phil's planted tank) in the hopes that it will help with brown fish stand out a bit more. If i can't get that, or if HWMBO decides sand is a no-go aesthetically, i'll use tiny tiny gravel (1-3mm) in goldy tones. I'm a bit bored with black gravel, i'll use it in a 2' somewhere. I'm thinking primarily java fern, and the rest, i'm open to ideas ;) I've found a VA600 cannister filter for this baby too, so it can be stocked to the max with no worries about water quality ;)

Archived