More New Additions

BettaObsessed

Went to buy some plants today at LFS and they had just had around 10 females bought in from a local breeder! Again with my perfect timing :D

Female #1

IMG_4817.jpg

Didn't see the wavy rays until I got her home as she was hiding in some plants.

Female #2

IMG_4793.jpg

Female #3 - Kate

IMG_4801.jpg

Kate will be bred with Will once she has settled in.

New Male

IMG_4808.jpg

Looked very silvery in the shop.....not so much now!

Well spotted Jarrod. I have just moved him and added some protozin as he had clamped fins when I just looked in on him. Will start treating him for melt.

Are the wavy rays on the first female a genetic or environmental thing? I don't want to breed her if it's genentic.

Within 5 minutes of putting the females into the female tank, all had clamped fins. Is it possible this was just from stress? I have pulled them out again and will treat them with salt and Bettafix just in case but wanted to check it wasn't just stress before I hit them with tri-sulpha or something similar.

I'm not happy that all 4 fish I bought yesterday now have clamped fins. :devil:

Sorry that you have had more bad luck. You have had more than your fair share.

Thought the male wasn't looking good but can't see any probs with the girls. Think you have done the right thing. Keep em warm and comfortable and keep a eye on them.

Some nice looking girls, that's for sure.

Good luck.

Hey Betta-O

Looks like you have quite the loot!

You mentioned the spawning tank, so - (I hope you don't mind) perhaps it's worth discussing a few things....

These ladies look like comb-tails or crown tails (I'm still a bit of a n00b when it comes to CT)

Female #1 and "Kate" look to be from the same spawn- red with brass irids....

While they both have a fairly flat topline, I would consider putting them with a male with a good arc - have a quick peek at this beta splendens website looking at top line and 'crest' form here, he's a nice example of what I mean.

Kate has a nice even anal fin, which gives her the appearance of the better female, but as a breeding proposition; part of me prefers the turq/red lady, she has a much better topline - a decent dorsal, good DR reduction and better over-all balance with length of dorsal/tail/anal.... paired with the right Crowntail male, she could produce some lovely CT fry.

Do you have an image of Will? (Hope I'm not being too critical!)

Good luck with the new boy, sounds like you're right onto treatments so you should be fine - I found Salt IAL and either Tetracycline or Tri-Sulpha for 7-10 days was really helpful for melt.

Trick is catching it early.

Regarding the wonky rays, it's a tricky one - it's either genetic or environmental causes - and a question I'm still grappling with, I have a big royal blue DT called "mong mong" (aka "ian") who I can't decide to breed or not, as he's a total idiot (for starters) but if he's going to have fry that eventually get bent/curled rays, what's the point?

One thing I would suggest is that Female #1's wonky rays start at roughly the same point along the ray on all 3 fins, so unless she had damage/rot that travelled equally along each fin, and they've all grown back with this kink (unlikely) I would suggest that maybe it's part of her development and is genetic.

Kate - who could be from the same spawn, dosen't seem to show these symptoms, and the turq lady shows a little bit of this wobble.

It's always a bit of a punt....

If you are looking for breeding females, take a good look and pair them with something suitable - we always want better fry than the parents!

All the best

-Ness

Thanks Ness! Not too critical at all. All 3 females are from the same breeder and I assumed they were all siblings, the red girls are definate siblings. I have 3 red CT males, I just really like the colouring on Will. Female #1 has been named Annie and the blue Female #2 is Beatrice.

Will

IMG_3321.jpg

Eddie

IMG_2850.jpg

Drew

IMG_4374.jpg