New Canister question

GoldenGirl13

OK here's the story. 3ft community was originally set up with UGF as I needed to get sorted fast and was short of funds. Got funds, ordered canister (ProAqua cf1500UV), now I know it's not Fluval or Eheim, (when I've got my lights that's next on the wish list) but I was working on the principal that even a cheap canister is better than UGF in a tank that size. All set up (I understand Chinglish and read the pictures :lol: ) Have already had to fit a sponge over the intake as it ate 2 fish and half a tail (rescued the fish but not the tail). My problem now is the current generated by the spray bar. If I remove the spray bar the current digs a hole in the substrate, with the spray bar attatched to the back wall and facing the glass/angled up 45' no-one can get near it!! There is no way to adjust the flow on this at all. Can I do the foam thing on the spray bar as well? Maybe mount it vertically so the flow goes around the side/front of the tank? Maybe both? I know I overdid it on the lph (over-filtering better than under and aiming for a bigger tank) but I honestly had no idea it would be this bad :(( Nanna needs help guys :D please

The flow will decrease eventually and it won't be a problem. My 2213 when first setup turned the whole tank into a washing machine, but it settled down within an hour when all the subtrate are saturated and water movement not so easy.

What filter media do you have in the filter canister? Usually the 1500 l/hr rating is for an empty filter canister without hoses and not taking into account head height - with sponges, and other media filling the canister you should see a much lower rate of flow... usually the filter media supplied with a canister filter is much too little to be fully effective so might need a top up.....

One option is to take the spray bar off and let the water drop straight into the tank.... the other option is to buy some 20mm pvc pipe and an adaptor - drill holes in the pvc pipe and replace your spray bar with it - the larger return pipe will slow the spray of water down - with mine on a 2200 l/hr power head has holes on the back, bottom and front and doesn't cause the scales to be blown off the fish like it does when there's no spray bar attached.... worth a try....

Thanks for the response Joan and Wayne :D With regard to filter media, I have added extra to each layer of the canister, replaced the original carbon with a sachet of purigen and extra wool, have added extra layers of fibre to other to trays (poor thing must have nearly choked on the extra!!) that has made a certain amount of difference. It has been running now for two weeks. Think I may also go with the extended spray bar option as well. Will not be removing the UGF for another couple of weeks just to be on the safe side, so I have a bit of time up my sleeve there. Thanks again guys, Jo :D

The other option I was thinking of ... but would need your UGF to stay in place would be to connect the inlet hose from the cannister to the UGF so that it has water flowing under the plates up through the gravel (stirring up anything that might have settled at one time) and into the canister uptake - no more much settling in your gravel! (well not much)

This would take a bit of work though but would use your entire gravel bed still as a part of your filtration system and the current from the canister wouldn't blow your fish away....

• 2 weeks later...