Does breeding to often damage a bristlenose's health?

zhong89

From the pair of fully grown albino bristlenose that I got from Jo at the last meeting, I've had two spawns from him already. The first one didn't make it coz I didn't know about the fry saver and second spawn is now in the fry saver with an air stone dropped in for extra oxygen. But the thing is he's breed again last night with a small clutch of babies, and when I went to check on him today I found another batch of eggs attached to the ceiling of the cave! I have 3 females and 3 other males in the tank, but due to only the dominate male has the "rights" to breed no other males has breed before. So the females are taking turn with breeding with one male!

My questions does it harm him from breeding constantly?

Coz from what I see he doesn't eat when he's in fanning the eggs and when he's looking after the fry; so that can be up to 10 days before I remove the fry. I removed the last batch about two weeks ago. I feed a combination of shrimp pellets(occasionally), algae pellets (frequently) and fresh vegetables (daily).

Should I remove him to another tank once in a while to give him a rest? Or if I don't remove him is there anything that I could do to get him conditioned enough so breeding won't affect him health?

Joan, you're right about the male bristlenose.... he won't be in good condition if he stays stuck in his cave too much.... you could initially just try removing his cave..... then put it back in when he's had a rest....

Are there caves for each male or only for the one?

There are three caves in the tank. Two really good ones and one just for hiding... I'm considering removing the male rather than the caves. But I'm scared that if I remove him there will be territorial issues when I put him back.

lol, it's ok. They're both doing well, they're friendly and not fighting with the dominate male. So it's all good! Don't worry, I can always trade one or both for something else down the track. It's good to have a back up male