Grindal Worm Question

Sarah

Hello, I was just curious to find out if Grindals really need a lid. I know bugs get in, but they also need air. I had a good container (about the size of a Chinese container.. but a little higher). It has a lid, and I cut a couple holes into it and stuffed it with filter floss. Anyway, I found a good piece of glass to use for the food cover thingy, but it doesn't fit AT ALL. I have another tub, that is a lot bigger.. but has no lid. Could I use that? What else could I use instead of a lid? Maybe a plastic bag with holes? I don't care about looks.. as long as it works. Thanks. :)

I did a search, but was unsessful. Though I did find new threads I've never read before.. that is always good too.

A few weeks ago I had to throw out 4 of my grindal cultures because a blowfly had managed to lay her maggots through the air holes of my culture lids.

If you don't have a lid, pets will get in, and the worms will crawl out.

I am thinking of keeping all my culture containers inside a large plastic tub, with air holes in each culture lid, and large holes in the tub lid covered by cotton wool.

Thanks Stefan and Jess. :)

Maggots - how annoying! And gross. :(( I think I could just do what Jess suggested.. maybe I could find some clear plastic lid (clear for easy viewing, I would like to have that). When the culture grows bigger and matures, I could find something else. Plenty of containers and jars around here (I think I have 100 jars of different sizes hoarded away for jarring fry). Thank you!

You could put them in a large styrofoam box to keep pests out ... or another idea I saw online... someone put their cultures inside an old pillow case tokeep out the unwanted pests....

The styro box I have white worms in also acts to insulate them and to keep pests out ... it contains plenty of air for them too so no need to worry about any gaps or holes as I usually open in several times a week to feed them (still building the cultures up again after a crash)....

Edited by fishbites

I have one of those boxes from someone. :) So I wouldn't need to make holes in it then?

Just found a plastic tub that is a good size. Fits the glass piece I found well. Except the lid.. I couldn't really make a hole in that, we might want to use the container some time in the future. Could I just leave the tub how it is, and they will get air when I fed them??

Thank you for your reply Wayne. :D