Fish ID please

fishish

Feeder fish I adopted yesterday:

67005_485397688593_693283593_6812647_434

66991_485397678593_693283593_6812646_556

What are they? The seller hasn't responded to that question. I googled feeding fish but can't find a pic that looks exactly the same. Possibly some species of tetra? Need to be certain as need to know what they need.

Also, as you can see they're all hanging around the heater, have been there all day! Why?? are they cold??? I have it set to 26 degrees... feels pretty warm to me! Though they were just swimming back and forth constantly at the sellers house so it seems they ain't happy about something :confused:

Last but certainly not least, one was dead when I got home today :(( What could have killed it?? was smaller than the others, I don't know if that means young or malnourished and weak? It was below the heater....

They're quite cute, I think they're growing on me. Regardless, does anyone want them? :P they're a bit brain dead for me and I feel for their sake they'd be better in someone elses care! Even if they do become Oscar food... :blush:

Edited by fishish

Looks like a barb, maybe a gold barb. Lousy coloured or 'deformed' fish often end up as feeders. Being lousy coloured sometimes makes it harder to ID.

They're probably too warm if anything, take it down to 22-24.

Seeing as they're all facing the heater, is it possible they're eating the sludge/slimey gunk that builds up on it?

Too hot? oow ok. I just turned it up! lol will go turn down again :P

Yeah I wondered if they're eating gunk... but they weren't doing that at sellers place... same heater in there. Are they herbivores? I added some duckweed, curtisy of Neffy :D and one of them has started crusing round the surface head first, is he/she eating it? Funny looking eating :lol: but, yeah I guess he could be browsing unlike attacking that my bettas do to their black worms :P

*edit* bingo! Google just gave a positive ID on barb, thanks Yan :D what will they eat? I gave them some of my betta protein food last night, maybe thats why one died? oops :blush:

Edited by fishish

They look like baby rosy barbs.... the black dot near the tail and the shape are dead giveaways... males especially will get a nice rosy red colour to them while the females will stay gold.... yours look like the short fin variety but they come in a long fin variety which I have in my pond... pond grown rosy barbs are very red in colour (even females) and have black edges to the fins and tops of their bodies are black too.... they will grow outside in unheated ponds here in Qld... they are fast and nippy but don't seem to bother my goldfish at all.... they breed readily by scattering eggs (and then eating them if they don't fall in cracks in the gravel or get lost in plants)..... so far in a year I've fished out about 200 rosy barbs and given them away to local kids and fish shops (not for feeders).....

Most of the time the rosy barbs will pick at green elodea leaves and algae but also will get a feed of goldfish eggs from time to time and when the goldfish pellets hit the water the rosy barbs snatch them or the babies nip at the pellets resulting in them moving seemingly on their own on the surface! Sometimes the pond surface boils with rosy barb babies getting into the pellets and other foods I throw in.....

Thanks... hmmm.. I may need to get some other food? So they may colour up then and not stay lousy coloured? :P

They're really stupid! :lol: (sorry barbs, no offence :P) I was trying to adjust the heater and tapped them with my finger to try to get them to move so they wouldn't get squashed but they just WOULDN'T! I was tapping them! honestly sheesh :P

Edited by fishish