Freshwater Crabs... In a betta tank?

Kiinks

I've been looking for interesting aquatic creatures to add to my tank. So I have been googling. Americans like to put African Dwarf Frogs in their tanks, as cute as they are, sadly not permitted in Aus. Couldn't find any Aus aquatic frogs either. Some people keep crayfish and yabbies in their tank with there bettas. But they're rather too big for my liking. I had a thought that maybe one of the smaller types of crabs? Or is this a terrible idea because the crab will definitely go for the fish? And I haven't seen crabs in pet stores (then again I haven't seen a lot of cool things in them either) so are they legal to keep as pet's in SA? Any suggestions for interesting fish/creatures to keep in my tank?

ohh that would be cute but im not sure id be afraid they would eat the fish, i know crayfish and yabbies definetly will. What about shrimps instead you have to worry about the fish eating them :( the most iteresting addition i have is a fresh water mussle he filters the water but hasnt got up to much lately :(

I've seen youtube videos of tanks with bettas and crayfish in them. I've also seen fish adds where they are kept with axolotls, and when I asked, I was told that axolotls like warm temperatures, even though I'm sure they are strictly cold water...? Some people just keep weird choices together. I have a lot of rocks and plants in the tank, and I thought a crab might be helpful, they like to dig, so it would upturn all the gravel, and help keep some of the dirt under control that gets stuck in there. I'm not lazy or anything I DO clean the tank properly. I just like to have a little ecosystem type thing going where everything had a role to play. I'd ask pet stores, but some of the info you get from them is seriously messed up.

Axolotls gills will be chewed off by fish, they are cold water but can survive warmer temps for a short period of time but they can suffer from heat stress which will eventually kill them. Yabbies do kill (and sometimes eat) fish, they are kept in the feeder tanks at my LFS and those things are always hunting the feeders. Don't know about Crabs but I imagine if they couldn't attack the fish (size), they would go after the fins instead.

I'm guessing anybody who keeps these things together either hasn't done it for very long or has gotten extremely lucky. :P

A LFS near here sells freshwater crabs ... never seen them in with fish though... usually see their tank with lowered water levels and a couple of large rocks that the crabs can climb out onto....

Also seen fresh water muscles, various shrimp (Aqua Green has some interesting larger shrimps), various crayfish/marrin/lobster/yabby type crustaceans...

My favourite crustacean though is the coral banded shrimp but unfortunately needs a marine environment...