Experiences buying from Aquabid

Kiinks

I'm trying to find a good male to breed, and I've had a look on Aquabid. The fish on there are absolutely AMAZING! :lol:

But I'm just a bit unsure. Firstly the prices are a fair bit when you add it all together, but that doesn't really bother me because I love them. I'm just VERY picky, and would be upset and angry if my fish didn't look exactly like in the picture, which I've heard is commonly the case. But I know they have hundreds of fish and can't photograph each one *sighs*. Also, I wouldn't be happy if it arrived dead or very sick. I've seen 2 HM dragons that I have fallen in love with, but would first like to know how healthy the fish usually come, how close to the description they are and any problems you guys may have encountered using Aquabid, and if it is worth giving it a try. I just don't want to get the wrong fish, then have it die on me. I've already had a petstore bought one die on me :rip:

No one can guarantee that those things won't happen. All effort is made to ensure that the fish you chose is the one that arrives and that it's healthy and undamaged. Marbles have a tendency to change which can't be helped. If your fish arrives dead generally you would be offered a replacement. But often this would be included in your next order although I believe some people have had replacements sent without ordering more. But unless you're in Brisbane (doing this on my phone and can't see locations), you're still going to be hit for shipping fees. I guess you have to decide for yourself if you're willing to risk the 50-50 chance of things not going as planned. Not saying that 50% of the time the process fails. Just from your point of view it either goes right or it doesn't. And when it doesn't go right, getting angry at everyone involved will be the least helpful approach. When I buy off Aquabid I accept that it's going to be expensive.

I wouldn't be angry at them, I know how to deal with people, it would be the situation that would anger and upset me. If the fish died during shipment, I'd feel like it was my fault in a way for buying it in the first place. I know it's pretty much 50/50, I'm just trying to weigh up if it really is worth it, and if people are pleased with the quality of their fish. I live in Adelaide, I haven't been able to find ANY local breeders, pet stores all import from queensland anyway, but they never get anything other than veil tails and the occasional crowntail. But I think because of my location it is pretty much my only option. And they are pretty lovely fish, nothing I've ever seen in a pet store :D

It won't be your fault. It will just be an accident. But yeah, you could accidentally lose a lot of money. And your $120 pair ends up being a $200 pair or more. And when you get them the little rotters could very well refuse to spawn. The whole process can be extremely frustrating. Have you looked at Fishchicks YouTube channel? Those fish are already in the country so you don't have to pay quarantine fees and they have a better chance of surviving the trip to Adelaide.

I have imported many of late (over 20 and expecting more in the next week or so) and can tell you my experience ...

I have yet to get a fish I did not think matched the description, although it can take a few days for them to recover their colour. I am often awed by the fish and am amazed they are as good as they appeared in the photos.

In the shipment that I have yet to receive there is one boy that was sick (prior to shipping), so the breeder has replaced him and gifted me with an extra female. I have yet to see them but hope they are similar quality to the one I originally ordered. On other occasions I have bought a sibling pair and one or the other has died during transport, which can be disappointing. My experience with the sellers has always been very helpful and I find them genuine and very proud of their stock.

Some do die in transit (stress, broken bags), some have chewed tails (only 1 in my experience out of about 10 boys) and some will die due to various stress related illness after they arrive (despite the best of care and treatment/medication). My worst experience is in the local transport between Brisbane and Melbourne ... some of the couriers do my head in and I recommend you follow them up on the day they are due until the moment they arrive.

Overall I am very happy with the stock I have brought in and about 80% have survived well beyond the first two weeks (which is the time frame I find they tend to get sick if they are going to get sick at all). I find the Thai fish are much more 'prone' to illness than the local bred fish and many have suggested this may be the quality of the water in Aus (and the chemicals we use in it)

All and all it is worth it but you MUST be prepared that things could go wrong.

Hope this helps,

Bec

Yeah I have had a look at some of fishchicks bettas, but there was only one fish so far that was kind of what I was after. There are 2 on Aquabid that I absolutely love, and they are halfmoons, so now I have tail chewing to add to my dilema <_< But I did think that it might be a better option buying from her, as they have probably been with her for a while, and the trip from Brissy to Adelaide wouldn't be too bad I don't think. I'd start importing Thai water for my bettas haha, must be much better than Adelaide's hard acidic water! One of the finer aquarium stores in Adelaide said that they do get show type bettas in on occasion, but they are about $40 (cheap!), if they can get something decent (sadly I don't think so) then I might just stick with that for a while, unless someone has exactly the one I want in, then I'd feel happy buying from her :lol:

Another option is to ask Aus breeders what they might have and to send you a photo of promising spawn. Same issues with transport but tougher local fish. I have some georgeous fish from a breeder in Sydney and would be happy to pay top dollar for an Aussie fish of great quality any day over a Thai fish :yes: (I am sure many of the fish are from Thai lines anyway)

I think I know of teh store you mean Kiinks. That place would be the only place I have seen any decentish Super Deltas. there's a place on Bower Rd (Fish Palais) that used to have SD's there most times I went and visited. haven't been in over a year now though not to sure how many types they have there now.

I have imported before when I was breeding and about 90% of the time my fish arrived perfectly. They do look slightly different to teh photos, but that would be expected, seeing as the fish come out different under lights and camera flash etc, but I have never had a fish that was completely different. Best time to import is end of spring/beginning of summer, as that way the night temp doesn't go down to low for them.

when you import, the opening of the box to see your fish in the flesh is probably one of the best parts of getting fish from overseas or interstate :P