Water conditioners and other items

fishish

So i got sold some Seachem 'Prime' water conditioner (hopefully you guys know it?). The woman decided to also try to sell me another water conditioner that has mineral salts or something in it. It says on the back that it increases water hardness. she said to use a bit of both. I suggested that bettas like soft water and the response was that our tap water is too soft. I'm not sure what other purposes this second water conditioner could have? It was in crystal form while the Prime is liquid.

So question is, do I need the second one as well? I didn't buy it as wanted to ask you all first. I have four small bits of driftwood and will get IAL and that softens water right? Will something still be missing that this other one will add? :confused:

Edited by fishish

The second is most likely aquarium salt (blue crystal right?). I put in a little bit of salt to make the environment uncomfortable for bad bacteria and to help the fishes to fight any diseases that might be in the tank that I don't know about. Not all aquarist put in salt, some found it redundant and like you said betta like soft water. I guess it's your personal choice

In my experience when I put salt in my plants don't grow as well and my fishes thrive. While if I don't put salt in my plants are doing well, but my fishes are not doing as well. (This could be my imagination).

Prime neutralises chlorine and chloramine. I think it may deal with ammonia as well but the main reason for using it is to handle the chlorine and chloramine. I don't bother with adding mineral salts. If you were keeping species that preferred harder water, then yes, but for bettas and most other common community fish, Melbourne tap water is fine.

Thanks :) hmm I wonder if maybe I should get a bit to start out with just in case there is any bad baceria given the second hand nature of the tank and equipment? I've cleaned it well (I hope) but just in case... then stop using it later? or is this going to create fluctuations?

Am a bit weary if its not good for plants as I don't trust my ability to keep plants alive, my garden at home is good proof of that! :lol:

I firmly believe that Melbourne tap water is too soft for anything. Its general hardness is around 20ppm. I always add hardness salts to about 100ppm which gives more stable water conditions in the tank - this advice was given by Ron Bowman (of Pseudomugil fame) many years ago.

I dind that even black water Apistogramma breed happily in such conditions.

General hardness of 100ppm is SOFT compared to many other areas either in Australia (eg Sydney, Adelaide) or internationally