Water hardness

sunrose217

Good morning

I don't know if this is the right place to post a topic after having a look around the rules suggested in the forum there is a button for new topic,..this is mine:

At the beginning I thought there was only the ph but it seems there are others-like dgh and kh and maybe others that exist? This being my first question. I am only new at this,..so am learning slowly,..

I have a basic ph kit to let me know what ph my water is but recently have been reading up on the different water hardnesses-like 15-25dgh for some type of cichlids -which brings me to my second question-What dgh and other "h's" do the bettas like? The third question: If anyone has found a good kit/gadget for the other hardness purpose(not/just ph);-

Apparently water hardness (not talking about ph but that can too,..)can affect egg fertility,..? That is all Anne

This section is for people wanting an IBC style critique of their betta.... but...

In answer to your questions.... don't get over complicated.... as long as you have a reasonable ph don't get too caught up being a chemist and forget to be a fish keeper.... betta will survive and flourish in most fresh (de-chlorinated) water of around a neutral pH....your fish will adapt to it as long as you don't go changing the parameters of the water all the time.... my fish are fine in water straight out of the tap (run through a carbon filter to remove chlorine)..... add a piece of indian almond leaf and it will give you a slightly lower pH and all the other healthy benefits it offers.... :)

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the reply it was very nice of you. I realised only afterwards I was in the wrong area- but it got a good answer.

I promise I won't do it again,..I have T.Catappa leaves-I have two trees just new in our back yard yes, I read about the good benefits-my trees are only young and I feel sorry for them as I wait for the leaves for my tanks,..they are almost bare. We have bore water,pond water and town water-only we have very little chlorine as we live a way out of town. We have asked up here for a carbon filter for the bore but haven't had any luck,.. :)Anne

Those poor little trees!!! :)

Thanks for the move Lisa.....

Anne .... how come you can't get a carbon filter? I just have a small filter I connect to a garden hose for my tanks - all up the housing, hose fittings and filter insert cost me $65 at a local pumps and irrigation place.... saves a lot of messing around with measuring chemicals to drop into the tank over a period of time...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne

I thought this thread had disappeared as it was in the wrong place by my fault but have found it just now-only just saw your message Wayne,..Okay well the place where we get most of our retic besides Bunnings is Barnyard up here but they got back to us to say they can't get one,..I don't know why so we looked at ebay but was told they are expensive and just today found some at a place called Blackwoods but the guy was at lunch so ,..still nothing yet. We have had a bad week with cleaning and allsorts,.. I have always waited long for anything as I suppose its easier when you are able to make decisions yourself-I seem to be the demanding one so I have to wait,.. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Gday Ann

I'm out at Palmerston. I only check the pH these days. I store three water containers in the shed (that I filled the previous week)and use to replace the water that I siphon out this week. Before I add the "new" water I check the pH level and add the recommended dosage of "stuff" to keep a relatively neutral pH. That way most of the additives are gone and the water temp of the "new" water matches the tank's. Until recently I hadnt lost that many fish so it must work ok.

cheers mitch

ps did you hear that Oscars are now able to be imported into the NT, woohoo, am madly saving to purchase a few for my big tank. (bit off topic, sorry)