Stocking question for 56l tank

delyall

Hiya :)

Ive had this tank setup for a while now, and finally decided to 'add the fish'.. So far I have 3 female bettas, all going well, no aggression so far... but I know I shouldnt keep just 3 in there, and I dont want to overstock the tank.. I also would love to add some corydoras, but once again, Im not sure how many is alright.. :)

Advice please? :blush:

delyall

I probably want it just for female bettas and cories.. I would love some guppies too, but Im not too confident that they will get along with the bettas.. the dimensions are 19" long x 16" high x 11" deep .. so a sort of warped 2ft :)

I would go for the likes of neon's over guppies..... sheer fact that they dont breed as easily so your tank isnt going to have a chance of being overcrowded before you know it!

dwarf guarami's seem to be fine with females im finding atm...

physically crowded and visually crowded are 2 different things, having such a large number of fish in a tank looks cool, but it doesnt let them swim overly freely, which is why i've only got around 40-50 fish in my community and its a 3ft tank

which gives approx 3-4lt per fish.....

also having a larger number of fish can make it difficult to diagnose any illnesses as it could spread rapidly without notice and so on.

56lt tank, id probably go for the likes of a dozen neons or tetra's that wont get overly big or so...... maybe another few females etc. :)

As a general rule.. I think it was 1L per inch of fish? Not including tail?

The rule your thinking of is 1 gallon per 1 inch of fish, so each fish should have approx 4l each.. but even with that rule its hard :(

Ill definitely check out dwarf gouramis, they're wonderful :) but as for tetras vs. guppies, though breeding will be an issue, I really do like the diversity of colours in them :blush:

I was bad today, and got 4 cories and 4 guppies for my tank.. if something goes wrong, or it ends up being too crowded etc. I have a spare tank to move them into :) Its so trippy seeing more than one fish in a tank, Im so used to my male bettas :P

If you want something REALLY colourful and vibrant from the gouramis, look at the Dwarf Honey or Dwarf Red Honey ones, they are REALLY amazinng in colour, I have the DH in my community tank and my mum has a pair of DRH in her small tank, I havent seen the latter in full colour yet, but both are VERY pretty!

The old stocking 'rules' relate to inches of adult fish.... but.... the rule doesn't take into account the level of filtration provided to the tank....

I've had over 70 cichlid fry in a 2ft tank - all happy and healthy due to plenty of filtration (only for a short while though - when they started wanting to breed WWIII broke out!)

Check out the AqAdvisor - lets you nominate a filtration system and fish and then advises if over / under stocked or over/under filtered as a guide....

@ Fishbites Thank you so much for the website, very helpful :P I wasnt aware there was anything like it online :blush:

Wow.. I put in my current tank dimensions, and it says its overstocked, so I removed guppies, and was able to have 4 female bettas until it was overstocked again.. out of curiosity, I put in the dimensions of my spare 2ft tank.. with that I can have 11 female bettas before I start having issues ... methinks I might switch my tanks :)

Interesting how the shape of the tank makes so much difference :) Perhaps Ill do some research on gouramis, such wonderful fish to watch :(