Mollies (+ danios question)

Hello Everyone :D

About 2 weeks ago i added 2 mollies - they are really pretty multiciloured ones - esp the male! to my tank which i have had for 5 years at least(wow time flies) it's 28L and for about 6-12 months ive only had the 1 black widow tetra in there(i have had him for probly 4-5 years and he is happy actually seems happier with them in there. The mollies eat so much! i was giving my tetra a couple of flakes per day and the mollies dont seem satisfied with even 5 flakes each(if not more) and they have been nibbling at a few of my plants(actually totally devoured some!) is this normal for mollies? should i feed less or leave it as it is and expect them to eat my plants too?:)

I also added one cute little danios tetra in there about 1 week ago, i've noticed my other fish sort of not being as active as before i added the danios and i was thinking it might just be the fact the mollies are settling down after being in there a week or so OR ive read that the quick paced danios can stress other fish out. What does everyone think?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Julie :D

Mollies can be a bit like goldfish - bottomless pits for stomachs..... they will munch on plants as well so make sure you have a few in there to sacrifice..... if you don't want plants eaten give them a lettuce leaf substitute or something else they can eat.... alternatively use plants that mollies won't eat - java fern, annubias, etc....

Danios are good in groups and 'play' a little rough at times but in a pest kind of way (not usually aggressive) - one on its own probably wants to play and annoys the hell out of the other fish so they hide from it.... give the danio some friends to play with and the others probably won't be as stressed out..... mind you.... mollies can be a pest to other fish annoying them at times too!

Hi fishbites,

Thanks for the advice. I don't greatly mind if they eat the plants in fact they seem to have only chosen one as a favourite - i forgot the name though. Green with lots of little almost hair thin little leaves(if you would call them leaves) kinda like how the herb dill grows. I have added a strand from the tank i plan to breed my bettas in which only has plants and snails in it at the moment. I will add some lettuce in their too though to give them something different to munch on!

Do you think i should cut down on the flakes then? I have noticed my tank with more algae on it do you think this is cause of the more waste or the fact the algae is building up again? (about 1-2 months ago i did a complete clean out (after 5 years) of my whole tank - i put back half the water that was in the tank - rinsed the pebbles and put a whole bunch of live plants in (i never used fake ones) so do you think it's because the algae is coming back or because of the waste? I did a 35% change of water a week after the mollies arrived so i dont think its the waste and i only have 4 fish in there. When it was only the tetra in there i would sometimes do changes once a month and it seemed fine as it was only the one fish and some tiny snails.

I might get another little buddy for the danios - do you think 1 should be ok? Or i was thinking of getting a smaller tank and i might keep a few in there - i will see how i go :)

Thanks,

Julie