what to do with fish when away...

Guest delerious

Guest delerious

Howdy :)

Not sure of the best place to pop this topic! Hope this is ok....

As much as I went to get into a betta keeping and/or breeding hobby I tend to leave the country at least once every couple of years for a few weeks or more. It seems a lot of people on here are parents so I guess would be tied down a bit with children. I'm young and live in a share house, couldn't ask housemates to look after my fish.

I have a dog but he goes to a mates place if I go away, fish are not so portable.

Any ideas? Maybe just not a compatible hobby for someone who travels a bit? Was thinking I could sell all the fish then re-start upon return...

Ive left fish unfed for a week and they survived tho some didnt look too happy on return but after a feed where ok, any longer would be really pushin it.

As for selling all the fish, what if you found one you didnt want to sell :) or you couldnt sell them all in time !

There are automatic fish feeders on the market just google it. (I have never used one so not sure if they would work) Also, with regards to water quality, the bigger the tank and the less fish in it the longer the water will last without fouling. If some one has better advise or can correct me on this? I am not going on personal experience so other opinions would help.

There are also pet sitters around that I guess can do fish, if you were close to me I would do it as I sometimes do pet sitting. Oh, and as far as being portable, if you are only going on a trip once or so a year, transporting the fish to the place where your dog stays sounds a better idea than selling them.

Just some ideas

Jane

Guest delerious

Thanks for the info everyone :) Thats good to know they can get on ok on their own for short trips so not quite as demanding as I thought!

The auto fish feeders I'd be a bit worried of them developing a mind of their own and going crazy on me (electronics have a way of doing that to me :D ) wouldn't want any ruptured bellies. It seems anyways if I was away long enough to need one then water conditions would be the unsolved problem...

Assuming best case scenario, healthy fish, good sized tank (say 50-60L divided tank for three fish?) with a filter can it be determined to any degree the time range the water could hold out for?

Thanks for your offer Jane, I live in inner city Melbourne so wee bit of a hike I'd think but yeah good idea, I could look into finding someone :alright:

Assuming best case scenario, healthy fish, good sized tank (say 50-60L divided tank for three fish?) with a filter can it be determined to any degree the time range the water could hold out for

If the tank has cycled and no food is going in, unless you get an unexpected corpse there will be no ammonia spike.