Full Belly

redfin538

Hi,

The past two mornings ive woken to a surprise my bettas belly was verry full. I do have a few feeder guppies in his part of the tank but so at first i thought he was eating them but I did a 50% water change yesterday, redid the layout in my tank and discovered several baby snails in a certain pineapple ornament. I already knew about one snail that hitched in on an order possibly a duckwead etc mix or in the java fern i received the same day and of course i have my mystery snail though the babies dont look like either of these two.

I havent noticed any change in guppy numbers so my question is this could he be eating the snails or the duckwead and if hes not eating the snails any one know of a betta guppy friendly fish that will eat a few extra Garys withought munching on plants and can survive on something else when the snails are gone?

thank you from America

my girlfriend has loaches mainly clown in her tank with guppies

they ate the snails she had and then lasted ages..... although i cant remember what she got to feed them afterwards - sorry

but i will let you know that she got one and he seemed kind of sad, she ended up getting a couple more because they like to 'snuggle' at night with eachother :Drunk_Buddies2:

hope that helps

Clown Loaches are good snail eaters.... they do like to be in a little group of 4 or 5 though....

Clown loaches can be annoying to fish and I wouldn't put it past them to snack on any small fish (ie guppy fry) that might be around (they love meat!). They can be busy little fish and you would need to watch them incase they pester the betta a bit too much.

Loaches will eat anything meaty like brine shrimp, blood worms etc but will also compete well for pellet or flake foods in a community tank.

Oh and one more thing - when you see a clown loach laying on its side - don't reach into the tank to take it out - its not dead - just pretending - got caught by one of mine (rotten damned thing scared the hell out of me when it scooted off as my hand got near it!)

*Oh and one more thing - when you see a clown loach laying on its side - don't reach into the tank to take it out - its not dead - just pretending - got caught by one of mine (rotten damned thing scared the hell out of me when it scooted off as my hand got near it!)*

LOL I have had similar experience with several animal species. but i dont think i can use the loaches as my tank is a ten gallon and someone on another thread said they needed a bigger tank. If they do become a problem i can always toss in a piece of cucumber and salt them the next day, but i hate waste and killing something needlesly. Still open to any suggestions though

snails are supposed to like cucumbers for reason so whetever is clinging to a piece of cucumber the next day can ideally be removed then you can put the snail laden cucumber on/in something and take the salt shaker to it till all youve got left is salted shells and slime vinegar also works probably because its highly acidic