Pond stocking

Robbies Betta

Hey all

just wondering what to put into a pond that is outside in Adelaide weather apart from Goldfish? we already have about 5 pretty much full sized ones in there already. capacity I think is about 1100L with a pump and UV filter on also. wanted something that would be a contrast with the goldies and you'd only really notice them if you got up close and checked it out. was thinking of white clouds or something along those lines. something the goldfish couldn't eat and that would breed in there also.

edit: such a clutz, don't know how I ended up posting this in the Showroom. makes me wonder whether or not my head is screwed on sometimes

Edited by Robbies Betta

Rosy Barbs are pretty indestructible and mine bred within weeks of being put in the pond my pond is around the 900litre mark so similar size to yours - give them plenty of plants to hide their eggs so they don't eat them - they don't seem to cause any trouble to the goldfish apart from spooking them away from food if a whole shoal of them attack the food at once. They over wintered here in Hervey Bay pretty well too - not sure what your winters are like though. Very hard to see them too with their black tops - but you get the red flashes as they turn and swim round.

White clouds would work I think and possibly some rainbows too? Don't know much about them though but someone else could advise better I'm sure.

Yes Rosy Barbs, especially the long fin type look good when they spar with the sunlight shining through the water. Another Gem is the Paradise Fish, I have the Blue Variety Breeding and they look good. Golden White Clouds, Possibly the Golden Sucker Catfish if your cold isn't too much colder then Brisbane. Some of the Mollies also survive the Cold.

Not sure if they breed as fast as rosy barbs Robbie but there are also cherry barbs, moss green barbs, tiger barbs, albino tiger barbs, and another I can't think of but it gets a nice blood red colour on its side (will try to think of it).

If you have barbs in large numbers (6+) they tend to keep to themselves but individuals can be really nippy and a pain in the fins to other fish. Because I have about 20 at any one time I think thats why the gold fish have been left alone.

Danios sound nice too - not sure how readily they breed but the gold ones are definitely a nice looking fish.

Maybe even a pair of white convicts - they would breed readily and wouldn't harm the goldfish much - they'd just stake out their own territory and look after it.

Maybe a pair of archer fish could be interesting as well? Would be fun watching them shoot down bugs flying over the pond!