BN Breeders

Anasfire

Hey there all.

I have a breeding pair of common BN's that have previously bred but have not done so for me since I got them almost a year ago. I have a few caves/rocks in the tank but have found they all inhabit the space under the same rock (I also have a male peppermint in there).

Was just wondering what temperature you keep your tank at for breeding and also what kind of things have yours bred in? I've been looking for some poly-pipe, was thinking of getting a corner piece and sticking a cap on one end to make an L shaped cave for them but am yet to find somewhere that sells the means for me to make such a thing.

I might go check out Bunnings later in the day...

I would still love to hear about the methods you use and what you have found best for speedy growth. When I got my pair I also got a few of their babies with them. Within a fortnight they had all disappeared and I wasn't sure what happened to them. I assume they died and/or were eaten by another of the tanks inhabitants.

Would it be wise to remove the BN fry from the spawning tank once they are released from their father's care?

Edited by Fighters4U

I'm sorry to say but when mine bred they just had a small rock cave with heaps of java fern that was really bushy and a couple of other rocks that they could climb all over. didn't do anything different except feed them algae disks and what ever dried food my fish missed. I left the fry in there with them and didn't notice a drop in the numbers that grew to proper size. I also had 4 cories in tehre and they pretty much let tehm alone to.

I know that probably doesn't help, but maybe dark gravel also helped as it darkened the cave a bit more?

mine breed in a community tank with gobies, oto's, various shrimp and various rainbows/blue eyes/rhads.

i have narrow piece of pvc (about 40mm in diameter) pipe with some shade cloth cut up and stuffed in the other end. it's about 20cm long.

they get fed zuchini and cucumber and any food the fish don't get.

they have bred twice in the last month and hopefully they keep breeding. i have removed the fry into a small fry tank. all going well so far.

hope that helps

Michael