A leaking tank

bubbzy81

*Vent start* Ok, so about 6-7wks ago I bought a 120ltr tank for my livebearers so I can use their old tank as a grow out tank. Anyway, it has taken me 6 whole weeks to manage to cycle this tank with many dramas along the way but now comes the biggest one of all, IT HAS STARTED LEAKING!!! I rang the shop this morning & got the most obvious answer, I need to bring the tank back in, but I'll be damned if I'm just going to throw all of that water out after the efforts I went through to cycle it. & what about the 20kgs of gravel, my already established plants??? Their suggestion was to put the water into buckets, BUCKETS?! I have a 2 & 4y.o! Besides the fact, I have no room for 12x10ltr buckets, you try keeping my kids away from it! & on top of that they want me to airate each bucket. Are you insane?! I can't handle this right now! *Vent ended*

The tank that is single handedly responsible for my admission to the loney bin!!!:

DSCF3042.jpg

Aww... there, there... :alright: What a pain in the proverbial. It's a nice looking tank by the way. A bit too tall for me. My short arms would never be able to reach the bottom.

How about this? Tell the LFS you'll give them a refundable deposit. You pick-up replacement tank, take it home, set it up, and then you bring the old tank back and collect your deposit. You're still going to need buckets but at least you'll be able to complete the whole transfer procedure in one go and minimise any bacteria die-off. Someone will have to mind the kids for a couple of hours.

That is a great idea Bettarazzi!

If that doesn't work, a big plastic storage tub would hold your plants, gravel and the majority of your water, they have lids to keep the toddlers safe, and are great for storing things when your done.

If that is still not an option, the water itself will cycle quickly if you have a seasoned filter and gravel, so you don't have to keep all the water, just enough to cover your gravel and run the filter in.