How much light should I use?

shiannechang

Greetings,

I'm setting up a new 3 foot tank. Currently, it has 3 big sword plants, Java fern, moss, water sprite, and Cabomba ... in the other word, no high-demand plants. So, I thought 2xT5 globes light should be enough. However, I do have shrimps and Otto cats in the tank which can feast on some algae growth. (is this correct?) So, should I get four globes to grow some dinner for them? Any opinion is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Shianne

Get 4.

Then later on down the track if you decide to grow more light demanding plants its available to you. In the mean time if it proves too much light, remove 1 or 2 globes.

The shrimp will eat mainly micro-organisms. And vegies or algae wafers which you can supply them.

Edited by Peter16

Are you deciding on which fitting to purchase or how many tubes you put in? you can always buy a fitting for 4, run it on 2 for 6 months or so (because I imagine that 2 T5s might already grow you some algae if you bump the nutrients up a bit high) and then decide if you want the other two tubes.

Thanks for the advice, but I decided to get the 2 tubes only.

(1) limited budgets

(2) Since it's a shrimp tank, I won't do high demand plants which requires CO2 in there. I have heard many horror stories about pH swing/leakage that kills.

(3) don't ever want to deal with algea problem

going to place the order now. will share the progress and such later. :blush:

Cheers,

S