Yet Another Way To Divide Tanks Easily...

fishbites

I've just had a brainwave... (unusual I know!)

I had some frosted glass I cut to the width of the tank compartment. I also had some suction cups that have a push in clip to hold air line as well as some clear plastic elbows for air line. I pulled out the clips and pushed in the elbows and they fit perfectly! This makes a very temporary but stable way of holding up the glass to divide the compartments - one setup each side at the top is all it takes.

The clips and elbows are only a few cents each and the frosted glass was from offcuts from a local glass supplier.

With this setup - I can have 5 (30cm x 15cm x 25cm) compartments or 10 (15cm x 15cm x 25cm) compartments in my 3ft tank (the centre back compartment holds the powerheads and heater).

Bozo is thinking this one over to see if he can get past it to the other side...

IMGP2257.JPG

Bender, perspex would work well - you could also drill holes in it for water flow if you wanted as long as the top corners were left alone for the suction cups to hold.

Lilli - photos of the tank as requested.... This is the first attempt I have made at building a tank - learnt a lot and the next one will be better I hope. Only have a few small windelov plants in there so far but I want to put a few more plants in as I dress it up. Still have to make a few lids for it as well.

This is the front view of the tank - the side compartments are 15cm wide but front to back they are 30cm and if left undivided could make an interesting size spawning tank. The plumbing allows for little to no surface movement. At the top you can see a great little 3ft light I got from Bunnings (made by Arlec) for about $33 - comes with cord and ready to plug in (only problem is the plug goes in at the end of it!

IMGP2272.JPG

The frosting is enough on the glass to distort the fish if they are not too close to it - I haven't noticed them flaring at each other on the opposite sides of this glass. If they do I'll just get a different type of glass and put that in instead.

IMGP2273.JPG

This one shows the suction cup on the end of the tank - the bottom of the glass is just buried into the gravel and doesn't move at all.

IMGP2275.JPG

I've 'taken' a lot from this forum so I'm just happy I finally found something useful to share with everyone! Thanks to everyone else who contributes to this forum and given me the knowledge to not only build a tank, but to raise a batch of Betta fry to adulthood for the first time. Going to have to find some more of those elbows and suction cups tomorrow for my next tank! :lol: