Back to basics

fuzzy_dragonfly

Well, I'm proud to announce that my 3 year old brother has just officially became a hobbyist.

Today (or yesterday according to the time on my clock) 2 of my siblings won pet goldfish at a fete, nothing fancy but very cute.

First to win was Tim my 6 year old brother owner of Sam the multi CT. Tim came back with the red cap white fish.

And Mattew (who adores BN catfish) turned on the water works when he lost so the guy at the stall let him choose a fish anyway. Matthew chose the orange one that looks like a wakin.

Both fish have been cross bred so many times they are just a jumble of this and that, I don't even know what to classify these as, suppose 'red cap' and 'orange' will suffice.

Matthew insists on feeding the fish, so it looks like I'll only be supervising that till the novelty wears off, then again it might not, he's been bugging me to feed my bettas 'n' friends all year and I let him and he's fairly good at giving the right amount. Unfortunately neither Matthew nor Tim is skilled enough to change water and measure conditioner so looks like I'm stuck with that task.

Here are the 2 lucky fish:

(I did not name them)

Posted Image

Do you recon it would work??? :) Yeah it was really nice of the guy to give Matthew a fish. You should see how proud Matthew is of his new fish ;) . Tim likes his new fish too. Actually I didn't realise how much I missed having goldfish, they are such playful little fish, great lifespan, easiest fish under the sun to own, not as stupid as what some claim and personality +. Goldfish are what first sparked my interest in the aquatic hobby. I'm tossing up whether I should get myself a black moor, lionhead or fantail just to get back into golfish keeping. hmm wonder why the colours of the pics went funny?

30L for the moment while they settle :) . Finally got a use for those discount power filters I bought a while back ;) . But as the fish grow there is a 2' tank I have spare which hasn't been in action since my last goldfish died 5 years ago ;) . Time to bring life back to the old goldfish pad ;) .

Yeah you do tend to get attached to them. I had a mental gold and white large common who attepted an escape and knocked himself out cold for a couple minutes :( . He ended up with a bruise on his noggin, silly thing :( . He made a full recovery in the end :( . I also got my first ever fry from them, only 5 fry, they disappeared without a trace :( . yes the parents were seperate, and yes there was a lid on the tank. FREAKY :) .

Went to the LFS to look at the goldfish today. You know, it's the first time I ever went to go look specifically at LFS goldfish properly....geeze they have some badly deformed ones, it's really quite scary what inbreeding has produced :) . Some could barely swim!!! and what about those poor bubble eyed ones :( . That being said there was an adorable red cap oranda with a PERFECT heart shaped cap on it's head. It would make a great valentines gift for a fish lover :P . I was soooo tempted to buy it but there was a substantial amount of whitespot in the tank :( . If I don't find a goldie that suits me in the next fortnight and if Valentine is still available I might buy him anyway, I'll just give him a once over whitespot treatment and hope for the best :P .

Oh forgot to add, just because we've got egg shaped goldfish doesn't mean I don't prefer the normal shaped ones. Normal shaped ones have far less trouble with SBD and other swimming/visual issues. The odd shaped ones are interesting but they look deformed, especially ranchau, pearscale and pompoms :D , those poor fish :D , especially the show quality ones. I hope bettas never end up as wierd as goldfish have. Long heavy finnage is enough.

Archived