Algae control and BN

Hey folks. To fill in the background, i had a small piece of driftwood with 2 anubis (spelling??) and some java moss in my native tank and really lost control of the algae situation. this resulted in a complete covering with some sort of green algae. The native tank has been since dismantled, scrubbed, and rebuilt, but without the aforementioned driftwood... it's found a new home with mr george, the orange dragon.

Not wanting to use algae control, i've put a small BN in with george (who, incedently is absolutley stoked with his new tank mate). Unfortunately, the BN seems unable to consume that much algae.

My Q is.... would using chemical algae control affect the BN, considering i'm affecting what is hopefully his main diet???

Thanks in advance guys.

Damo

Hey Damo, I avoid using chemicals in my tanks where ever possible. Somethings that I'd consider doing before resorting to chemicals are decreasing the time lights are on, water changes and adding BNs/shrimp/snails (if you have the room and inclination). Adding more plants (particularly fast growing ones) may also help as they can out-compete the algae. The worst outbreak of algae I ever had was solved by leaving the lights off for 4 days after trying and failing with chemicals.

Good luck and happy gardening :dontknow:

No chemical algae control shouldn't affect him and it won't eliminate all the algae over night. I don't currently have any algae in any of my tanks as they all got a good clean out when I moved so I'm supplementing my BN and Peppermint's diets with Algae pellets and they get the odd piece of lettuce and parboiled zucchini as well, although I think the female bettas ate most of the last lot of zucchini. They also eat whatever food the fish don't and just leave on the bottom. I've seen them both munching on bloodworm, blackworm and BS as well as left over pellets. If you're looking for algae pellets for him you know where to come! Your trusty fish food lady :D.

Good luck guys!

Archived