lights!

divy

hi all,

i need some help im going to buy lights for my tank but i have no idea on what type or wattage i should buy

heres a little info on my tank:

first of all my hood is only 3cm high so the light/lights need to fit in that

the tank is 90cm wide 20cm deep and 25cm high

in the tank i will have Anubias Nana and maybe some hair grass

i want the lights to keep the 6 bettas happy and to keep the plants alive

so any help or links would be great

I have hairgrass , anubias and crypt in a 2 foot tank and they are growing well and shooting new leaves .

I have the aqua one flouro light that came with the package deal. Nothing fancy . No CO2 and only the occasional ferts. Cheap and easy.

do you know how many watts the light is jusdeb by any chance?

i was looking at the hagen glo t5ho lights on a website before 2x 24watts

ALA155611155681.jpg

would these be too bright?

Edited by divy

Not sure but I think they are 15 watt tubes and there are 2.

There is a formula you can use for working out how much wattage you need . I dont know what it is but I did find it on google once.

I had a quick look at 2 foot tank lights for you and they vary from 2 x 11 watt to 2 x 15 watt to 2 x 18 watt and one had 1 x 30 watt so depending on your needs an average of about 30 watts would work .

Dont take this as gospel as Im no expert so if you have time check out google. Hope this helps

Oh and just a tip ...make sure you can buy replacement tubes and at a reasonabe price . I have a light that I bought on ebay and now discover you cant buy tubes at all.

Years ago when there wasnt much choice for lighting we ran a flouro with a warm tube and a cool tube . I think that if these are suitable then they would be the cheapest option as you can get the tubes anywhere for a few dollars each.

You just need your reflector as your major purchase.

Anubias & hair grass are low light plants, and ur tank Volume is 45L.. 2 x normal 14w T5 would be enough...

The replacement tubes for T5HO is hard to find and its quite expensive, around $35 ea from LFS... where T5s are quite common in most of the electrical shop..