Whats the differnce?

Hi there ....Can anyone tell me the difference between Flourish Excel and Algaekil in regards to effects on fish and plants???

Ive used Algaekill a few times before but I dont want to use it any more . I dont really like saying this but on the weekend I dosed my 2 foot tank with algaekill , this tank held all my female 2 month old fry , Its now wednesday and they are all dead despite doing massive WCs since the first death which was the next day.

I used the same aged water on a couple of tanks and the only thing that I did differently was the algaekill.

So now Im wondering about flourish excel as Ive read it can be useful in treating Black beard algae which is taking over a couple of my tanks.

I dont want to treat the tanks but since most of my plants are anubias I cant pick of any more affected laeves as Ill have nothing left.

Thanks for any help in advance.

It's a while since I've turned my mind to planted tanks but isn't flourish Excel a carbon source, ie you use it instead of CO2? I never thought of it as as algae killer but I guess as a carbon source it helps the more advanced plants out-compete the algae for access to the nutrients. If I recall correctly you have to add a certain amount every day to keep the carbon levels consistent and it wasn't very cost efficient. Have you tried DIY CO2? That costs bugger-all (but can be smelly and a bit of a hassle, and you need to make sure it can't siphon into your tank).

Excel can also be used as an algaecide its not marketed as such because of all the red tape that goes with it. In large doses it can kill of Vals, mosses, riccia. It will kill some algaes, it does take care of BBA... clado i think..there may be a few other types.

It is thought that Seachem's Excel is derived from glutaraldehyde, as such hobbyist have procured their own sources, reduced its concentration and produced a useable excel alternative, Dave at aquagreen sells one DinoSpit...

Hope that Helps

Archived