java moss on flywire

Guest aqualad

Guest aqualad

Hi there,

Anyone planted Java moss in between fly wire? (that stuff we have on the doors here) I purchased some from bunnings (the cheap plastic type) but noticed a strange plastic smell. Im airing it at the mo.

But I would hate to introduce some nasty chemical residue into my new tank.

Why fly wire?

I read somewhere it was a neat way to create a natural background wall. I thought Id give it a try.

I have some reservations.

How long it will take.

I also expect the top(closer to the lights) to grow much quicker than the bottom.

I think you'd probably need good light, CO2 and ferts to get it growing fast enough to cover the whole thing decently.

I've tried it on a little and it worked for a while but then it didn't get enough light for a while and it died back revealing the fly wire again.

Buy a lot of moss and stitch it on with dark green/black thread.

Be careful that you have fibreglass flywire and not aluminium or that chunky stinky petproof stuff. I'd be more comfy using plastic canvas or tulle netting, but flywire should work.

I tried java moss on things, it worked OK, but not brilliantly. I used fine hairnets to secure it to pingpong balls :lol:

Guest aqualad

Yeah Im thinking you would have to get everything just right to get it to maintain an even enough covering for a back wall. I have achieved floor carpets of the stuff, but on wall is a different matter.

Ill need to build up my moss stocks first :lol:

Good lighting is a key factor I think. Java moss will survive in low light but will be really straggly. If you want it to be nice and bushy it needs a fair amount of light. I've grown java moss on coconut shells and rocks. Got a nice one at the moment growing on a couple of rocks. It has developed the nice green mound I was aiming for.

Archived