Purchasing a betta setup

su888

hi guys, i would like to buy a betta setup... like a 3ft/4ft tank with several dividers. I have seen some around in St Kilda aquarium and Subscape but they are bit $$$ $200 for a 4ft setup. Without filters or pumps...

Can anyone recommend me where i *might* be able to get one from a bit cheaper... i'm almost tempted to make my own. As i've got a glass and glass cutter lieing around somewhere.

BTW, i would like the dividers to all share the same water so filteration and water changes is more simple and can be quickly changed.

David

If you are going to make a tank where all compartments share water beware, we found out recently how dangerous that can be. We introduced a fish that hadn't been quarantined and it had fin rot, within 3 days all 8 fish in the barracks were infected and dead, even though we treated them immediately. Diseases like that can spread so fast that you don't have time to do much. I suggest that if you are going to take the time to make a barracks like that make it so every section is sealed completely, sure it does take up more time and effort with water changes etc but in the long run it's worth the peace of mind if you ask me, especially if you are going to be keeping your expensive fish in there eg ones ordered in from AB. Either that or make sure you quarantine them for at least 2 weeks, which is what we do now before any fish is introduced to a community water structure. Luckily for us all we had in the tank were some Veil's I'd bred the previous year and some LFS bought Crowns.

I wholeheartedly agree with that, I've had barracks that shared water and lost all but one of the 12 fish that were in that barracks over a period of months through relatred illness... I've since completely sealed the 12 bay and haven't had any more multiple deaths since!

Archived