Anubias yellowing

I have some Anubias on driftwood, and it seems to be yellowing. My 70L planted tank gets between 10 and 14 hours of light a day from a clip-on light (9w) on one side, as well as a 12 inch aquarium box light (8w) on the other side. I've given them a dose of iron-enriched Plant Gro.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I suspect it's something to do with the light and nutrients. There are no fish in the tank right now, so there's no waste to feed off (the fish should come within two weeks). I've ordered some iron-rich substrate and I'm waiting for it to be shipped. The bottle of fertiliser doesn't have any suggestions as to how often to use it, so I'm not sure if I should be using it more frequently.

I'm determined to not lose these plants, and any suggestions would be grately appreciated.

Hey :rip: Id like to know too! Mine is doing the same thing. Mine gets the same amount of natural light and i havent got my fish in the tank either at the moment, but it was starting to go yellow before i removed him. He started to get a bit of finrot and the wood/plant seemed to be fowling up the water even though i did 50% water changes weekly. (also had filter). I was wondering if the plant somehow contributed to the finrot (by dying/turning yellow) as the others are fine and he has been a healthy boy.??

Not sure on the fertiliser. Ideally it should be added in small doses every day in order to keep the nutrient supply constant. If the bottle gives a dose but no time frame, I'm not sure if that should be given daily or is a weekly amount that could be divided down. It might be worth emailing the company.

I'm fairly hopeless with plants, but have heard that yellowing is often an iron or light issue. Seeing as you are dosing iron ferts, I'm not sure how true that could be in this case.

What type of tubes are you using in your lights, and how old are they? What is your pH?

Are you running carbon in your filter? or zeolite/ammorocks?

They're just regular limited-spectrum Aqua Glo tubes. They're about 8 weeks old, I bought one of the lights roughy 7 weeks ago and I put a new tube in the other about the same time.

I'm running a zeo-carb and foam filter and the pH is 7.0.

I've taken out everything except the java moss and dwarf hairgrass, and added in some Green Rush and Mauve Stricta, neither of which towers over the Anubias like the Wisteria (all the taller plants arrived nearly dead anyway). None of the plants are blocking each other's light now. Also, I've added the 3mm iron-rich substrate and pruned any yellowing leaves.

Archived