slimy film on water surface

divy

hi all i was wondering if some one can help, yesturday i noticed this slimey film on the water surface of 3 tanks that ive never seen so i cleaned it but it reappeared this morning

to describe it i would say it was kind of slimy maybe oily? it wasnt thick and when you look at it from the top it looked like frosted glass if you get what im trying to say

so does anyone know the usual questions what is it? why did it happen? and how do i stop it

cheers all

I have had something similar... can be a few things... i never found it slimly and was just like an oily layer and depending on where you sit you can see it easier.

One thing i noticed it could be is from your hands... your skin produces oil and sometimes can make this coating on the surface

Another thing i noticed is that my freeze dried blood worms make the same coating across the surface... so if you are feeding this it could be the cause

and any other food that has an oily base will do the same thing

I get a slimy film on the water in larger single tanks (About 10-15L) when the water is still. I solve the issue by putting in an air pump with gentle flow.

I have a oily coat on my planted 70L tank right now, I'm not sure what it's from since I don't put my hands in the water. I was planning on doing water changes to remove it.

I gett the same thing. it looks like glass on top of the water

I believe as my goldfish dnt get it

its either from the warmth of the heater or its becoz they blow bubblenests.

or maybe a combo of the two.

I Find that the way the blow bubblenests ( so the eggs can sit in them nice n safe) they arnt normal bubbles. they are imposible to get ride of some of them LOL. So thats what i think anyway. :(

I get an oily slick in unfiltered containers. I usually notice it when it's time for a water change. But I think it appears pretty quickly. I've never worried about it much. If it's time for a water change anyway I'll change water but otherwise I just leave it. It only happens in still water IME. I'm guessing it's made up of oils coming out of their poo.

well for me its stopped doing it, it only happened twice for some reason

i started this thread because i was worried it might be halmful to my bettas cause the oily film was on the water surface and thought when they go to the top for some air they would get a mouthful and might halm them

Archived