First fish are in my tank

mjd271169

Hi

Thanks to bettarazzi, malignau, Stuart and callatya for the responses to my last post. It was great to get the different ideas.

My tank finally cycled, it felt like it never would and I was starting to lose paitence waiting but last week nitrite was down so I did a huge water change probably 90% and set off the the LFS. Got there at 4:30pm and it was shut so not wanting to keep putting fish food in and the next day I was back at work I had to drive to the next nearest one in the hope I would make it in time. Got there 5 mins before they shut and had great service as the 3 people in the shop pounced on me trying to speed up my purchase and shut the doors.

I wanted something hardy and although I got heaps of good advice I went for a fish that was not mentioned, the white cloud. I am trying to keep the smallest fish I can find so that I can have a nice little set up in this tank. They looked pretty plain on the way home in the bag and I was thinking maybe the next fish would have some colour, once I got them in my tank though they have really come good, great red tails and fins and swimming all over the tank, top, middle bottom. One of them loves to go to the front of the tank and get caught in the current, float down to the bottom, swim back up and do it again.

I will be getting maybe 2 more this weekend to build up the numbers to 5

After that I will work out what else to put in, I like the idea of a couple of male guppies as they can be really pretty.

That should take me to 11.5 inches of fish which should see me fully stocked.

If anyone knows of an LFS that has glass shrimps or the like for the bottom please let me know as I have rung around and no one has them. I have seen them on line at livefish.com.au and that is the only place so far.

Here are the pics, not the best quality but as you would all know its not easy photgraphing a tank with moving fish

PB140024.jpg

PB140004.jpg

PB140008.jpg

Cheers

Mark

It's looking great so far!

The white clouds are great little fish, they were some of the first community fish I ever purchased and they lived a good four or five years, back when I was in my pre-teens-early teens and had no clue what I was doing. They're hardy and peaceful, so they're great community fish.

Looking good! White clouds are fantastic fish, they have such big personalities. Occasionally you hear them referred to as the poor man's neon, but to be honest, I think they are even prettier ;) just make sure they are kept at a temperate, not tropical temperature. They seem to bleach out when they get too hot. I think you'll be seeing even more colour in the next few days, they look like nice specimens :lol:

I haven't seen glass shrimp in a while, but I am working on finding a wholesale supplier. My old one sold up :( and I flat out refuse to pay $2 per shrimp, especially when most are baby macros anyway. I'll keep an eye out, and if I manage to find any while collecting, I'll let you know :)

Those are nice pics for small fast moving fish. :)

I would love to see a shot that shows your entire tank.

Cheers,

Jason

Hi Jason,

I had a pic of my tank in a previous post but without fish, link below just scroll to the bottom. Its only a small tank to start off with but I am getting really in to the hobby so will be going bigger soon then either keep this a small tank or maybe just have it as a quarrantine tank with a couple of fish in there to keep it cycled

Cheers

http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4943

Looking good! White clouds are fantastic fish, they have such big personalities. Occasionally you hear them referred to as the poor man's neon, but to be honest, I think they are even prettier ;) just make sure they are kept at a temperate, not tropical temperature. They seem to bleach out when they get too hot. I think you'll be seeing even more colour in the next few days, they look like nice specimens :)

I haven't seen glass shrimp in a while, but I am working on finding a wholesale supplier. My old one sold up :( and I flat out refuse to pay $2 per shrimp, especially when most are baby macros anyway. I'll keep an eye out, and if I manage to find any while collecting, I'll let you know :)

Thanks,

I may also let the tank settle for a month or so and look at some of the small cory, have not seen the pygmy cories yet but I could probably get a couple of those in once the tank is fully up and running without overstocking

Cheers

Archived