Sand with Bristlenose?

Beano

Hi,

I'm tired of looking at the barebottom of my 2foot tank. I have black rocks, but I wanted a contrast against the dark driftwood. Can I use river sand when I have a bristlenose? Or will the bristlenose eat it?

I suppose i could go and buy some white or grey rocks...

haha if the BN is stupid enough to eat it then its his own fault :dontknow: Most fish are smart enough to know what food is! Fish will even show you what food they dont like by spitting it out or just turning their noses up at it!

Im sure river sand would be fine! you just have to put it in a 50L storage tub and get a hose and blast it about 6 times to get all the silt out.

I was referring to our Bristlnose fry actually. That and the Mystery Snail babies are all that's in the 44" tank. there are well over 200 BN fry in there though.

Oh! Right! Sorry, I was wondering why you were talking about betta fry, when actually you weren't! LOL! Well if the fry are ok then the adults must be.... excellent. They just seem to have their big sucker mouths running 24/7 I thought I should check.

i've had sand with bn before and never had a problem, and some of it has been very fine stuff, my bf went through a stage where he waned white sand in the tank, i couldn't convince him you'd need to siphon it six times a day (okay not quite) to keep it clean :D . i reckon they (the fish not my bf) are smart enough to not eat the sand

Archived