Females hiding and sitting on the bottom of tank

brettc777

Hi Guys,

Tried doing a search but the search button kept on giving me errors. :)

Anywho.... I have been noticing that when i took my most dominant female of the tank for spawning and put her back after there has been odd behavior.... i came home to find the old dominant female sitting wedge in between the filter and another sitting on top of plants at the top of the water line and the copper female just swimming around normally.

I did notice when the dominant female was taken out the copper was annoying my other female a bit. I took the copper out and put her in the barracks (thinking she may have caused this hiding)... but the other females still are acting weird. one sits on the bottom like its sick or sulking... the other sits on top of the plants... and now the copper in the barracks is wedge in between the heater like its sulking.

Could it be that there sick? or sulking?

any help appreciated!!

Could be sick, but in absence of any sick signs, I would suggest that you have disturbed the pecking order by removing the dominant female. You took the link out of the chain... so the girls have to reorder and re-establish who the head biatch is again. They are probably all sulking because they've spent all day bickering...

agree with Beano. you've disrupted the pecking order and they all need to re-establish their positions.. also the less females that you have together the worse this will prolly be... say if you have 3 girls and take one out then you're gonna have big combats, then again when you put the 3rd girl back.

hmm i hope its that... the copper in the barracks wasn't looking to flash... she was slightly on her side on the bottom looking like she was breathing heavy... no signs of sickness or poor condition over the fish... put her back in the female tank in case she was just stressing out!

She looks ok sometimes... a lot better then before... her fins are held together a bit... she can spread them apart but is clamping them for some reason... i was thinking maybe due to the stress of the pecking order needing to be established.

I've found that the dominant female sometimes clamps her fins due to others challenging her all the time, of course this could also be the bottom of the rung as well and a stress ting... as long as they don't look sick they should sort it out if you give them time just watch them closely for signs of illness

hmm i hope its that... the copper in the barracks wasn't looking to flash... she was slightly on her side on the bottom looking like she was breathing heavy... no signs of sickness or poor condition over the fish... put her back in the female tank in case she was just stressing out!

She looks ok sometimes... a lot better then before... her fins are held together a bit... she can spread them apart but is clamping them for some reason... i was thinking maybe due to the stress of the pecking order needing to be established.

Brett,

Not that I am any expert, but have you noticed any signs of striping on her?

Is she still swimming to the top to breathe? And if she is, how does she swim? Ok or not?

Its just that I had one which started like that, and ended up to be dropsy..

Archived