How do you decorate a marron tank?

Callatya

I confess.

My display tank is DULL. Worse, it is dull with duckweed :) (it wouldn't be so bad if the filter didn't keep folding the duckweed on top of itself, no matter which configuration of the outlet I try!) Anyway, so far it has Sydney sand, some hunks of bushrock, and duckweed. And a thumping great blue marron. It just doesn't look complete, but as much as I'd love to put anubias in there, which would look gorgeous, the blue creature would eat them. Same goes for fakes, he'd chew on them :D

Does anyone have any ideas?

(photo to come)

I would suggest that rather than having the rocks spread through the tank, you aim for a rockpile at one end, as close to a pyramid in shape as possible? That will give the tank quite a zen look. The (gorgeous, gorgeous) marron will still have somewhere to shelter but also open space to cruise around and be seen. You could scatter some empty snail shells or other debris (sandblasted coloured glass fragments from the beach maybe? Or just blue or red or green glass pebbles?) on the sand in the open space. Blue glass is hopefully not going to clash with his colour or the sand, but red would look really great as a contrast in any event. Personally, I’d stick to one colour in addition to the rock, as the marron himself is the main attraction.

I'd be settling one of those 'wrecked car' ornaments in there, I reckon... the giant marron marauding over a car at the bottom of the ocean look... :Drunk_Buddies2:

The other thing that would appeal to me would be the fake half logs - even K-mart has 'em in varying sizes, which could give a nice hideaway that you can still spot him in... does he take to the plants just as something to do, or does he actually eat 'em??

Archived