Plants

brettc777

Its hard to tell how big they are Brett...have a look at aquaticdreams.com.au they have packages for different sized tanks that seemed reasonable to me...but then theres the $10.00 postage which jacks it up a bit....Ebay postage might be the same...They do look nice though..dont they...

In my opinion, they do pretty much a fair price for their 'rare' plants, and a better price for the run of the mill stuff, but they're not 'cheap', by a long shot... my main problem with them as a seller is they don't accept paypal - I get regular payments in from overseas sales of photo's through paypal, and prefer to use that to pay for online purchases - to my mind, these days, if a seller, especially on ebay, doesn't accept paypal, I start wondering *why* - everytime I've had an issue with a seller, it's been resolved by paypal - if I'd paid cash, in most cases I'd have done the dough...

As far as 'value' goes, I just bought three indian ferns, a bunch of Val and some ambulia from a local seller for $12 - a conservative value for that at an LFS would be around the $50 mark for what I recieved - one back of indian fern (water sprite) filled my 140L's empty spaces - I expected to need all three 'bunches' as it'd have taken 3 plants from an lfs to fill it - things like Telanthera at $6.95 a bunch, etc... there's enough Val there to but a back wall in a 2ft tank, and I don't know where to start on the ambulia yet - a bunch is $4.95 from an LFS, and usually has 2-3 stems - there are probably 12 stems in there, all with roots, but twice the length I need in my tanks - I'm figuring I'll trim them and use the tops, and pass the rooted stems onto a friend with a new tank setup - 'THAT' is where value comes in to play...

What plants are you after?? I can probably point you towards sellers who *are* cheap for them, or possibly help you find some planted tank afficienados who'd be happy to pass on cuttings, etc... a guy I met last night gives away anubia's, 'cos the LFS's offered him $1 a plant, then sold them for $14.95 a plant, or $25 on driftwood...

Bear in mind that the bunch of Ambulia you see in an LFS for $4.95 cost them $1.50 from somewhere like Pisces Enterprises... if you're a plant dealer, even on ebay, you can buy direct from them... including all the anubias, etc... if you look over the Pisces Enterprises site, you'll see most of the plants you can get from AquaticDreams, too... food for though?? :D

I’m not looking for anything rare. Just some simple good looking plants that are easy to grow and dont need a whole heap of light to stay alive.

I really would hate to go out and buy some rare types and accidently neglect them and have them die on me!

I was thinking along the lines of java fern, java moss etc. I don’t know too much about plants. Would like foreground plant... a mid ground and finally a background of taller plants. Probably wouldn’t go anymore than 5 types of plants.

For that kind of stuff you'll pay through the nose on Ebay - it's all available so much cheaper in other ways... (you effectively pay through the nose for the rare stuff, too, but that doesn't matter as much... lol)

Java fern sells for way more than it should on Ebay... a good lfs that gets it's stock from local planted tank owners will sell you a good bunch for $8 - you'd split that into probably four individual clumps, which will propogate themselves, too... I've been given good, established Java Ferns for free from other planted tank people...

Java moss - I get a 'handfull' sized serve for $3 at one LFS... that's enough to put java moss in a good quantity in two tanks...

The other stuff you want, to grow in an 'ordinary' tank - well, Wisteria comes to mind - I throw handfulls of trimmings away every week, and give it away to anyone who wants it... likewise with foxtail - in fact I just culled the least desirable stems from my 140L, still had more than I wanted left in there, and those bits I got rid of are better than most you'll get in an LFS...

If you want a suggestion of a really good ebay seller, for pretty much what you're after, try these guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DEAL-1-36-AQUARIUM-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DEAL-NO-11-50-AQUAR...1QQcmdZViewItem

I think they're between ads at the moment, but I've bought plants from them twice, and been more than happy with the serves sent... my 60L work tank was stocked for less than $30 of plants from them, including the postage:

wherei10.jpg

I can recommend a place to you, where you'll find plenty of forum members happy to supply you with cuttings from 'common' plants to start you off with a planted tank - just pm me if you want to know where... I'd be happy to send you a takeway box of foxtail and wisteria, but it'll be a couple of weeks before I have wisteria trimmings again, I did a severe cut back and replant just recently...

Archived