Flow rate issue and an unhappy HM Male

I started putting Males in the first part of my Barracks system. The plakat adjusted just fine and loves it but the young Royal Blue HM I got from someone in the first shipment doesn't seem to like the flowing water AT ALL. I can't test the flow rate thanks to the way hubby set it up but the young male has twice ended up going over into the centre channel where the flow is even greater. Robert put him back in his bay this morning and turned off the flow and he was happy with that but that's not going to work long term.

What flow rate do HM's seem okay with and how can I get him to adjust to a current with out continually escaping?

because HM have a lot of finnage they have trouble trying to swim properly when there is any type of flow. you'd have to slow it down to vitrually nothing to stop the drag on their fins.... if it looks like he's making an effort to swim then the flow is too high.

how can I get him to adjust to a current with out continually escaping?

I don't think you're going to be able to get HIM to adjust. You're going to have to do the adjusting. There must be some way to reduce the flow. Hard to make suggestions when we haven't seen your design. But some of the things you could think about are: adding a valve or tap; redirecting part of the flow elsewhere; adding more outlets; adding an extra release outlet at the end; adding an extra outlet at the beginning. If you absolutely have exhausted all options for regulating the flow, how about adding lots of floating plants? A dense jungle of water sprite should lower the flow quite nicely.

The design has the water flowing out over the top of the end wall rather than underneath. We've been tweaking it a bit and even will a slight water flow they seem happy. I've added some more of the males in. I can't add small floating plants because they'll end up in the centre channel.

Archived